Monday, February 28, 2011

In which I recall a similar leap of faith



Weird feelings.

All guts and writhing like a net full of butterflies. Or eels.

Did I swallow something wrong? Maybe I'm just crazy.

I mean, why ELSE would I be walking away from a job. Now.

There's many reasons: no future, no benefits, my health. My sanity.

The main reasons though are harder to put into words. I'll be getting all sorts of comments, looks. I've already braced myself for them. Water off a ducks back. Yeah. Right.

I worry too much about what others think of me. Something I need to work on.
Chiseling away at it for a decade...I still have a long way to go.

But I'm getting there.

Getting there.

Life is about transition. Sometimes it's forced upon us. Sometimes it's an utter shock and surprise.

Then there are times we step out onto the bridge between "the life that is" and "the life that could be".

Remember the scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? Where Indy has to cross this vast chasm in order to reach the Holy Grail? It looks impossible, uncrossable, utterly idiotic to even try. Then he realizes, it's a leap of faith. There's no other choice. It's go back and watch his father die, have the villains win, have his world end.

Or take a leap of faith.

And when he does, he finds that everything he needs is right there. One. Step. At. A. Time.

That's what I'm doing. I have no guarantees. I'm taking an awful risk, Vader ;). But I have no choice. Unlike Indy, I can't turn around. The notice is given. In fact, The Job has announced I should leave sooner. You know, because the replacement can start now.

Ok. Boost that last day up a bit. I got nothing to lose.

Except fear.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, best of luck! Leaps of faith aren't easy, but sometimes they are necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First it sounds as if it weren't for you to begin with, so one step, one leap.... the force will be with you. Follow your heart :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that is a big leap of faith. i hope it works out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck to you. Sounds like you already know what you need to do.

    Just Breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! Those leaps of faith are hard stuff, but usually where we end up growing the most. Good luck with the transition.

    p.s. I love Indiana Jones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you!! Here's to relief and happiness and fear and joy and possibilities and who knows what else!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I wish you the best. But I also have to say that I truly believe everything happens for a reason. Even if we can't see it clearly at the time. But sometimes we can see it and we have to give it a little shove!

    ReplyDelete
  8. woohoo! know you are filled with a great mix of excitement and fear...have taken those steps before..best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is too short and health and sanity too important.

    Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Change is always scary, but your future possibilities are now wide open. Wishing you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! And I always think about that Indiana Jones scene, too, when I think about leaps of faith. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Toss! I'm throwing you a magic rope in case you need to grab onto something. I'm cheering for you. You're one fearless rebel!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awe! Good for you!! Try and enjoy it as best you can, as scary as it is! You'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a job like that. I wanted to walk away from it to be with my kids. Fortunately the job decided to lay me off (along with 7000 people world wide), so I got to leave 8 months sooner with a bunch of benefits. I was so happy, I cried. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes you have to take those leaps. Just do it as the slogan says. Took me years not to care about what others thought but I finally got there and you will too. Wishing you great success.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know best I would imagine. You could stay stuck where you've been, but you may never find better opportunities unless you go. Things usually seem to work out in the end.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to walk away, but I spent the last three years there anyway because I wanted the pension. I admire you for your courageous, healthy choice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes you need to do what feel right for you, even if it does involve taking a risk. I've taken several, and I've never been happier!

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)