Luck o' the Irish SPD Blogfest!!!


I found this picture years ago online. Sadly, I did not take it.

Ah, St. Patrick's Day. The day when I can be as Irish as I like and no one looks at me like I'm a freak...every other day, well, that's another story...

Colene Murphy is hosting this brilliant fest! Mozy on over to her place and check out the other entries. I'll be reading as the day goes by (and probably into tomorrow...my Internet is being LAZY!) Enjoy! And drink some Guinness...it's good for you :D

***

It hasn't always been this way. Once upon a time, people welcomed death. Now, they fear it. Every year they shirk the cemeteries, rush past without even a glance at those who rest. "Cast a cold eye on life," Yeats said. Seems to me they're doing just fine in that respect.

Life, death, it's all the same to them. They hover about their jobs, rushing home to sit in front of the telly, drink a pint, get lost in their problems. They think if they don't contemplate it, they can escape it. But they can't. No one can. Death comes for them all.

I should know. One year ago, he came for me, a rider dressed in black. He called my name and I, not knowing the old stories, followed him to the lonely hill on which I now sit. It was St. Patrick's Day, I remember it well. I'd been partying with friends, having a few laughs, tossing coins off the Haypenny Bridge. I'd never really been a part of the crowd, but they tolerated me, enjoyed my company and I there's.

After the party was over and the pints were dry, I walked home but for some reason, I left the road and went up through the fields. A light rain began to fall and I found myself being led by a horseman to a low, moonlit hill. That's when I heard her, the wailing of the ban sidhe. That's when I realized it wasn't that she called you to die, she called you to another type of life.

Now here I wait, wait for another on this St. Patrick's Day to be lead by the horseman, always on his hunt. And when they arrive, I'll cry for them, I'll wail and I'll sing them into eternity.

Slainte!

Comments

  1. I love that put this in a realm between worlds. I also like that her death itself was a non-issue, now it was just about the waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! It's a different take on the joviality of the drinking. Instead you put a POV that makes the reader slightly uncomfortable. Got me going. I'll be watching for ye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well worth the wait, Jen!! Bravo!! I loved it!! Consider yourself entered and thanks so much for playing along with us!! Happy SPD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chilling and thought provoking - lovely piece of writing. Happy SPD
    Lx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this gave me chills! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gave me shivers...and a sadness. GREAT entry!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, that was eerie. Very cool Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, eerie with beautiful imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a chilling story! I love it.

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, such a creepy mood to this story! Yay for Irish tales! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! It sucked me right in.

    More please?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how very haunting. Nice take on it. St. Patty's day just became a little eerie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great! What a perfect little story. Well, written, all the elements of fiction in a tight little package. Nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sends a chill down my spine. I can hear the cry. But. I like that it calls you to another existence.
    Write on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts