Thursday, March 24, 2011

"No trip is insignificant"

Hey to all my new followers! I may have already said that. Well, hey again! I'm very glad you're here :D

Can I TELL you how free I feel today? I finally caught up on all the amazing blog comments you guys have left me AND got around to some of your equally awesome blogs (if I haven't made it by yet, I shall. Promise. There's only so many hours in a day and I'm really shooting for an "A" in Argumentative Writing.)

All this talk of boldness. Yes, I've been paying attention to my blog posts *giggle* and those of others. I've stumbled upon several posts in the past week on fear and boldness. Hmmm, says I. Seems this theme is more than just a passing glance. Fear and the art of being bold. Now there's a theme if ever I saw one.

In regards to the post title, it's a quote from "The Way of the Traveler" by Joseph Dispenza. "No trip is insignificant," he writes. "...Every time we leave home and go to another place, we open up the possibility of having something wonderful happen to us."

Equate this to writing, says my muse. He's demanding like that. Dern snarky little so-in-so...

We write and write and write. Sometimes we put down epic brilliance! Sometimes...er...not so much. More like epic suckatude (yes, that IS a word. I've seen it somewheres...). Most of the time, we sit back from what we've written and wonder just what the heck is going on? Who's the main character? What's going on between the clown and the flea circus? What on earth am I even talking about?! Do we crumple it up, toss it and start over? Do we file it away?

I say file it. Even if you stumble across it in a decade or three and it still stinks of ten day old Limburger, there's a lesson to be learned (such as take out the trash!!). Every thing we write has significance. There could be the gem of a story hidden in all those adjectives. A single word or phrase that sets us off in the path of our own Lord of the Rings. Or it could be the simple fact that we sat down and wrote when we didn't want to. When we would rather get lobotomized than face our fears and muses and screaming main characters and spoiled side kicks. The act of writing helps us channel the stories that surround us. Even if we never use them, the simple act of writing tells the world a very important truth:

We are writers.
Writers write.
So go on, suck with brilliance and scream from the roof tops: "I AM A WRITER!!!"

Just make sure you hide that story about the clown and the flea circus.

9 comments:

  1. Good work, getting to your writing and being bold. I like that quote about daring to go outside - and something great might be waiting for your. Often, I fear leaving the safety of home because of what bad things might be waiting. It's all in the attitude, isn't it? I need to venture out today - despite the snow and ice - taxes. Be Bold - even with the taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! I keep all my stuff even if it should never be seen by anyone. At the very least, I can open it up and see how far I've come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have just made my day one whole lot better. I like 'I am a writer - suck with brilliance'. I have been mulling a comment I saw elsewhere last night having a go at people who post on their blogs everyday for wasting the time of their followers. I have been feeling terrible - I value my readers a lot. It's part of my new practise of breaking through my crapness to write every day and make it visible. So thanks and sod this guy - after all - my muse told me to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the message in this post!

    Great last line. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I'm still working on claiming "writer" as my status, but I'm getting better at gutting through the sucktastic phases between the fleeting flashes of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PLUS I have read that many authors, when they get published, can pull out those manuscripts they had filed away and polish them up and get them published! So yes, definitely file away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo! I am a writer and I Write! Many days it IS Suckitude... But sometimes I look back and wait... It's not half bad! So I keep planting my seeds in my manure and hoping for something luscious to grow...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that nothing we write is without merit. Maybe some of it will never become published, but all that writing can't help but make us better writers in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)