Thursday, April 7, 2011

"F" is for...

...

Mind holding that thought a sec? I didn't think so :D A couple of weeks ago, I was awarded a fabulous award and I have been unable to post about it (or post the award) until now. I wanted to take a moment to thank Deirdra over at A Storybook World for the Powerful Woman Writer Award:



I'm feeling kind of powerful right now :D Thanks Deirdra!! Wander on over to her site. She's got one of the prettiest banners I've ever seen!

****

A huge hello and freely distributed hugs to my new followers!! I've been AWOL, I know. Thank the ever fickle Internet gods for that. It seems I've displeased them and they now require I go fifteen minutes from home to surf the aether. Not a huge problem (I get to spend my mornings at a book store) BUT they KNOW I have papers due in two weeks!! It'd be so much easier to have the Internet up all day and be able to come to it as I see fit. Ah well...rant over.

****

On to the Challenge! Will I visit other sites? Yes. When? It's a surprise!! For everyone...including myself ;) I know, I know, I've apologized already. Forgive my over-indulgence of the phrase "I'm sorry" but I mean it. Truly.

"F" is for...

FORGIVENESS

What's that got to do with writing? Everything. We all make mistakes. We spend too much time on a book and not enough time on school work. Beds go unmade and laundry piles up along with dishes. The dog is bouncing, legs crossed, in front of the door and the cat's litter box hasn't been cleaned out in a week.

OR

Life swoops in and carries us off. We're riding the currents of recitals and baseball games, term papers and grocery shopping. A parent needs help, a child falls ill. Vacation. Volunteering. A really, really good book.

And we fail to write.

Guess what? It's ok. Life happens and it should. Forgive yourself today. Forgive yourself for your word count. Forgive yourself for your lack of discipline. Forgive yourself for slaying real life dragons and letting your characters fend for themselves.

Forgive yourself for not blogging. Not writing. Not revising. Not querying. Not doing all those things you said you'd do in the month of April.

It's ok.
Take a deep breath.
And live.

18 comments:

  1. Forgiveness granted and felt...which leads to tomorrow's letter...grace. We all need it now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, your post just made me feel so much better about myself today. I have been putting writing at the bottom of my to-do list. I am going to do just what you said and forgive myself today.
    Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* I feel so much better now. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too hard on yourself. Go, live your life! The computer is for when you have nothing else to do, silly!!! :) Forgive yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thank you! Life has been my day and I needed that :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this post. Thank you for giving me permission to forgive myself. It's very hard to do.

    New follower from A-Z. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Post - I m always looking for these types of post - http://bit.ly/grPKX6

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I'm taking a deep breath now and forgiving myself for not keeping up with all my blog reading for this challenge. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post! Sometimes the hardest person to forgive is yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The greatest thing about the A-Z challenge is finding so many great blogs to follow and potential friends to meet. I enjoyed reading your post on forgiveness. I think we as women have a tendancy to be hard on ourselves. Have a good week-end. Looking forward to coming back again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm constantly forgiving myself... I really should be more disciplined, but there's just so much I have to do. Forgiveness is definitely an attribute you need for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post. I liked what you have to say about failure to write, something we all are concerned about. I'll be checking on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to meet you through the A-Z challenge! Hope to see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is a great post. something we all need to remember. Everyone makes mistakes.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Guess I have to forgive myself for squandering away last week and the weekend without writing a single word... and then start again!

    Great post :)

    following you from A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, I needed this. I have been out of work for a week because of an injury to my knee and I really thought I'd work on my book since I have a new laptop and all. Instead I did keep up my blog, but played solitaire and watched Kitchen Nightmares on my laptop. Now I'm going back to work today and I was just starting to beat myself up. Perfect timing for me to see you post and read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a beautiful award. Well deserved too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It took me awhile to figure out how to let it go when I didn't do something perfect, didn't write that day, didn't complete a story to my liking before the deadline on a contest, and so forth. It's a good reminder for everyone, so thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)