Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Blatherings and Scented Oils

I stayed up until midnight thirty last night putting some finishing touches on some book ideas that have been bubbling over in the back of my mind. It's as if my brain was suddenly transformed into a lovely little Aga with a multitude of pots simmering and squeaking over warm flames. Then, wouldn't you know it, the back two burst and sauce went everywhere! It took me until almost one o'clock to get it all tidied up again.

We'll see where they go. A bit of a foray into a land I've not really touched upon. Just when you think you write one way, in one genre, those pots bubble over. You know the ones; the ones you tried to ignore but put on the stove just in case they held something of interest for the ones you forced to the front. Yeah. Those.




In other news, I decided to make some scented oils. I have an addiction to fragrance oils and I have a tendency to log onto Brambleberry Soap Making Supplies and order multitudes of samples of delicious fragrances with names like "Mahogany", "Sweetgrass" and "Mandarin and Myrrh". I add them to a beeswax/base oil blend and create solid perfumes and lip balms. I've sold a few in the past and, once I perfect the base blend, may start selling them again.

Today, however, the scents come not from a bottle of fragrance oils or even essential oils. I took some leaves from some plants I grew as well as some that have grown wild around the lofts: plantain, mint, pineapple sage and rose geranium. The plantain is the leaf of that little "weed" we used to wrap around itself and shoot our friends with when we were kids. Sort of like miniature cattail. The mint was self seeded from who knows how long ago and grow rampantly outside our courtyard gate. The pineapple sage and rose geranium were bought for me by my mother and have thrived throughout spring and summer (which is more than I can say for the beans and cucumbers...).

The plantain I left plain and poured copious amounts of olive oil, sweet almond oil, vitamin E oil and grapefruit seed extract over. The rose geranium, the same. The mint and pineapple sage, however, got the royal treatment with some green tea, mint tea and earl grey added for fun and flavor. I think that oil blend will make a delicious lip balm. Stretch some plastic wrap over the top and secure with a rubber band, label and put in a dark, cool place for about a month. Viola! Come the end of August, I'll have some delicious oils for some more solid perfumes and lip balms.




Anything new and exciting in your neck of the woods?

~Jen xo

2 comments:

  1. Well, look at you back in blogland, writing all sorts of new things, and creating others! So good to read your words again. I saw the other post today, too. It's been so long, your blog didn't come up to the top like usual. Your new loft sounds wonderful, full of creativity. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for pictures from your fantastic, new phone! :) I'm glad you're back to blogging. Perhaps I will blog again one day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)