Weather Report

It's so hot here I can barely stand it. We've had some thunder storms the past few afternoons but it's done very little to quell the heat. Georgia in August...I always know it will be miserable. It does, however, make me crave fall even more than I already do and when the first crisp morning hits, it's as if I've been reborn. I pine for those days.

You hear that when writing, you should keep weather to a minimum. Then again, a good weather description can become a supporting cast member, giving the scene just the right flavor to help capture the imagination. Being from the balmy south, I find myself writing a lot about fall and winter. I crave those times because the majority of the year finds me under a blanket of humidity to think you have to practically swim to get around! Then again, writing what I know, I have written a few shorts that deal with the characteristically hot, dry, dusty deep south I know and (dare I admit it) love so well.

Do you find yourself gravitating to a particular season in your writing? Or does your plot dictate what time of year it is? Perhaps it just happens, you find your MC in a violent thunderstorm and it sets the mood for the next act.

An odd post, I know, but I'm just curious. Dare you give weather a role in your story or leave the forecasting to The Weather Channel?

Ciao!
Jen

Comments

  1. I don't typically pay attention to the weather unless it is dramatic in some fashion. I do write a lot about cool crisp fall weather only because it coincides with marching season--my most favorite time of year. And I write about marching band a LOT, so I guess I do mention fall a bit then.

    Otherwise, I don't write about it much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy hot and humid here, too. And I'm writing a summer book, so that's good inspiration. But I can't wait for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love writing about winter . . . even if it's SF, my main genre, snow or some other aspect to cold will often come up, though fall is my favorite season. I like describing the weather as the character probably sees it--in an offhand way, used to the environment they live in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that you mention it, most of my books are set in the spring or early summer. And here I thought Fall was my favorite season. Go figure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, weather is hugely important. Isn't that most people's opening line, "hot enough for you?" or in MN, "Cold enough for ya?" "Wow, did that thunderstorm keep you awake last night?" The weather affects everything - what we do, our moods, where we are (in or out), and how comfortable it is. And, what a great plot point to have a couple stranded in their car in a blizzard, now, add a nursing baby, the plot escalates, and I can see that I'm writing a story here. Come to MN, we're having a cool, crisp morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen - there's an award for you over at http://dailydodo.blogspot.com
    Cheers
    Laura xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts