Thursday, October 20, 2011

my favorite halloween tale



The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. An oldie but a goodie. I have always loved this tale and it has always scared me senseless. Why? Could it be the fact that something could walk around and "think" for itself without a head? That's just disturbing to me. Missing limbs don't bother me, but remove a head (or just the eyes) and I'm totally creeped out! Seriously.

When I was little, I would watch the cartoon version on the Disney Channel. CARTOON. And I would have to sleep with the light on. Every unaccounted for noise was the Horseman coming for me. Why would he come after me? I don't know. My name has absolutely no similarities to Ichabod. And for that, I am most thankful.

But I kept watching it, kept scaring myself stupid.

And then I'd read it. Talk about atmospheric! Have you ever READ Irving's original short story? You must. And I won't even put a link to it online. No, this story needs to be savored with the crackle of the turning page for a soundtrack. Trust me on this one. Dig it up from the library. Read it. You'll be glad you did.

Then came Tim Burton. Let it be known: I have a huge crush on Tim Burton movies. Seriously. Just about anything he does I love. Slap his name on it and I'm there. When his version of the old Hessian came out, I went. Why? To get over a life long fear of all things headless. Did it work? No. I'm still terrified of the idea of anything walking around without a head. But I love it. And I watch it, as many versions as I can find, every year.



And I still have to sleep with the light on.

So. What's YOUR favorite Halloween tale?

10 comments:

  1. There was a headless horseman in Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow?!?!? I must have been too busy drooling over Johnny Depp ;)

    I do like Sleepy Hollow... it is a very good film and I like the cartoon version too. I think the cartoon is quite sad really.

    I've never read it though... but it is on my very long list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burton's Sleepy Hollow was epic! Always been partial to The Crow as a Halloween favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You nailed it with Tim Burton's version of Headless Horseman. If you mix Christopher Walken, with Johnny Depp, and throw in Tim Burton--well, nothing is creepier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good story! :) I didn't know Tim Burton did a movie of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, though--I'll have to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha...sleepy hollow is a good halloween tale...hmm...i need to think on others..pumpkin head is kinda scary...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love being scared! Take a house with lots of windows, a bags of leaves in the yard and an over active imagination and you will find me running up the stairs when I head up to bed. It's ok, go ahead and laugh. I do.

    I don't believe I've ever read The Legend of Sleepy Hallow, but I've seen just about every cinematic creation. Another Irving piece you should read that made my skin crawl a bit was his short story, The Adventure of the German Student.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great. I don't think I graduated past the cartoon version. I read it in college, I think. I'll have to find it back. But, as a recording, it must be fantastic. I'll search for that!
    Love your border today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read - The Legend of Sleepy Hallow - but I think I will now. I love Halloween and then my birthday is the next day...it rocked when I was a kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tend to stay with the oldie classics; I'm not much on being frightened so stay away from modern day stuff. Burton is fabulous and I love his stuff like The Big Fish; not so much the frightening stuff.
    -LOL-

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)