Cinnamon Rolls, Madeleine L'Engle and Steampunk

Cinnamon Rolls. Yes, a most appropriate topic for this blog. Seriously: we writers need our nourishment. Where else am I going to get all this nutrition wrapped up in one handy-dandy, finger licking meal? Doubt me? Grain-check! The roll is made of bread. Dairy-check! The frosting has cream in it...and butter. Cinnamon can help indigestion and is an anti-inflamatory. The sugar...er...well...that feeds the soul :D Hooray! All excuses relevent...

My favorite book is turning 50! "A Wrinkle in Time" is a book that I first read when I was around 8 years old. I remember enjoying it, but nothing else stood out. Then, when I was around 18, I was rummaging through the children's section in the library and I came across this battered hard back with a strangly familiar cover. I read it and was changed. This story rushes at you from all angles and never lets go. At least, that's what it did for me. I honestly can't explain why this book (or the other books in L'Engle's "Time Quartet") move me so. They do. Tor is doing a reread of L'Engle's books. You can read about HERE. Oh, and if you want to read Wrinkle but don't have it, you can borrow one of my copies. I have...er...several...

Steampunk. Ah, just the word conjures up warm fuzzies about goggles and mad scientests and air pirates and clock parts and...sorry. I tend to get a bit giddy whenever steampunk is mentioned. Don't know what it is? Go HERE: it's a pretty good description of steampunk. Oh, and Tor.com have the Steampunk 101 collection. Check it out! And if you really want some eye-candy, Google images of Steampunk: clothes, jewelry, cakes, computers, anything! Seriously. Anything.

Aaaand speaking (continually) of steampunk, has anyone read Cherie Priest's "Boneshaker"? I have not (for shame) but I keep seeing it at the book store and it keeps begging me to take it home. It seems this here steampunk novel has got itself a movie deal. Please oh please, movie producers whoever you may be, please get steampunk RIGHT. If the hoards of steampunkers come out in their goggle wearing droves, the lines at the premiere alone should be worth going to.

That's about all the damage I can do this morning! Enjoy you Friday, don't work too hard, eat lots of cinnamon rolls, and stay warm! Oh, and if you're bored, you can always wander over to The Manor. Yep. I've started posting there again :)

Be awesome!
Jen

Comments

  1. I've not read Boneshaker.
    Good thing you read that book a second time. I almost never reread a book. Maybe I should begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at cinnamon rolls. :) And I definitely need to read more steampunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I haven't been around in a while *hangs head* but have to say I missed ya - and enjoyed your post...I especially love those buns when the weather's really cold, ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love LOVE cinnamon rolls. A lot. Now I really want one!

    Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm fantasizing about cinnamon rolls right now. My 6th graders are reading "Wrinkle" in school right now, so we recently talked about the book. Her story of rejection to publication always inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I adored a Wrinkle in Time as a much younger person; 8ish. Have not picked it up since then yet the book remains on one of my all time gotta reads for the younger set. =)
    Oh, and cinnamon rolls are a must.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts