Holy Bucket of TOO MUCH, Batman!

Good (almost) afternoon cadets! I trust you all had a wonderful weekend. Was it as fabulously, unseasonably warm where you are as it was here in Georgia? It has been in the upper 70s, lower 80s since Thursday and I am loving it (I'm also gloating and for that, I apologize).

My break last week from the blogverse was much, much needed. For some reason, just that small amount (very, very small amount) of my online time, removed, helped me think better, clearer, and get more done. And boy did I ever need a bit more time last week!

First of all, a funny story for your enjoyment. About five years ago I worked at an herb shop in the area. One of the ladies I worked with quit about three months prior to my leaving and went to work at another herb shop across town. I would pop in from time to time over the next few years, to pick up vitamins, say "hi", and catch up.

Two Fridays ago, I did just that and, lo! My friend was there. She's not supposed to work Fridays but there she was, waving and commenting on my now short, dark hair (which she remembers as blond and somewhat long). As we were talking, she asked what I was doing now, if I was working and suddenly grabbed my hands and asked, "Do you want a job?!?" She nearly leaped across the counter.

Needless to say I was a bit befuddled. As I tried questioning her about it, she dragged me back to where the owner was sitting, placing an order on the phone. My friend pointed to her, then at me, then they both gave two big thumbs up. "Uh oh" I thought. "I've been Shanghaied!" Turns out, they've been needing some part time help for some time and were just talking about who to hire when I walked in the door. Turns out the only day I can work is Friday. Turns out that's exactly the day they needed an extra body in the store.

So.

I'm back in the herb industry! At least one day a week. A little extra money and some real people to talk to (as opposed to all my characters and my cat) has never hurt any writer that I know of.

On top of that, our friendly neighborhood Visual Arts Society had our first art in the park showing. We were able to set up a tent, display our art, and solicit new members at our annual -are you ready for this?- Yellow Pollen Festival. No joke. Here in Hampton we have a festival to celebrate the advent of pollen season. Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

On top of THAT, and in conjunction with that, I got to display some of my folk art for the first time and realized that THIS is what I should be pursuing in my spare time instead of some of the other types of art I've tried in the past. I'll be focusing on that and keeping you updated on how that goes. Hopefully, within the next few months, I'll have a little online shop to call my own.

As if that wasn't enough, we helped out at my father-in-laws' retirement part, discovered that writing a literary criticism frowns highly upon the use of direct quotations, got hit in the face with a BRILLIANT new story idea and started a training program called Couch to 5K.

Yeah. I'm pretty much insane.

How was your week/weekend?

Comments

  1. Congratulations on the job. Sounds like perfect timing for everyone involved. Glad you found your art niche as well.
    Not sure I could celebrate pollen season though...
    Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Jon was joking about the Yellow Pollen Festival. LOL! Oh, and I really must get back on the Couch 2 5K wagon. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have been busy! It all sounds like great stuff. Congrats on the job and the art. You should be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the very cool sounding job! And your art! That's awesome!! Glad you enjoyed your blog break and got loads done! Isn't that a good feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're leading a busy, fulfilling life these days! Art and exercise and work and learning--that's wonderful! Can't wait to see this folk art of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the job!

    It sounds like you had a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on the job. I'm quite a new follower, are you always this busy? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word! A pollen festival! You're killing me here! Just had to go on asthma meds for it...the south has its highs and lows, for sure.

    Regardless, sounds like a highly productive week. Herbalist! Cool job! Definitely something you could get a really cool MC out of, I'd say! Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Jen. And bravo to you for taking time off for yourself. Love how perfect timing worked out for so much, especially that part-time job in the herb shop. Herbs require so much specialty knowledge they're lucky you dropped by. A pollen festival sounds like fun. Why not? The stuff's there, may as well jump in and make the most of ah-choo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's got to be the best job interview ever! Sounds like a win-win... congrats. Enjoy the lovely weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. I like serendipitous encounters and am hoping to meet up to one myself soon.


    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Some people will have a festival for ANYTHING! Sounds fun. Glad you discovered your favorite form of art, for now, and that all the stars lined up for the part-time job. Sounds like you're having a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful happenstance!

    My week has been wild, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been said a million times, but congrats! Praying good things keep coming you way! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts