Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Motivation

Good afternoon! I hope the sun is shining on your keyboard as it is on mine (unless, of course, you're reading this at night. That would be really weird...)

If I seem a bit chipper for a Monday, I have a really good reason. OK-a GREAT reason! Last week (yesterday to be exact) marked the END of my struggles with math. Seriously. Unless (GOD FORBID) they decided that Creative Writing majors need a third math to graduate between now and next June, I will NEVER HAVE TO TAKE A MATH CLASS AGAIN!!!!

And if that ain't a reason to celebrate, I don't know what is!

But that's not what I'm here for today. Nope, I decided to start something new on Mondays. It's the first day of the week. The day after the weekend. Not usually people's favorite. BUT what better day to get MOTIVATED!! Now before you start throwing things at me, let me explain. I am NOT a morning person. I'm a night owl. And I'm NOT a Monday person. My tolerance for Monday is better now that I'm in school full time, but still: it signals the end of a glorious weekend and the beginning of a new week.

Why let that get you down? Beginnings are supposed to be GOOD, right? Well, that's why you have me :D See! I AM good for something ;)

For today's bit o' motivation, I want to share a little tale that happened to me last Thursday. Our sleepy little hollow just got a bookstore. It's very own, independent, used bookstore complete with creaky wooden floors and coffee maker. Perfect! Being the book lover I am, I dragged my mom and husband there thirty minutes after they opened on grand opening day. We browsed around and giggled at some of the old book titles. The building smelled old, the books smelled musty, and there was a warm breeze coming in through the open doors. In a word: perfect!

After the owner got off the phone, she came around and chatted with us. We talked for ten minutes or so and I let it slip that I was a writer. And, on cue, she asked the dreaded question: "Really? Where have you been published?"

Now here's where I usually hem-haw, paw at the ground and look anywhere but at the person who just asked the question. But this time, something marvelous happened. I responded "I'm not published yet. I'm a full time student and I'm in the process of getting a portfolio ready and some work edited for submission."

She smiled. She said she asked because she met a lot of writers who had published online and wondered if people still published in flesh and blood media. I told her that was my goal: to see my name in print. However, I added that I wouldn't pass up a chance to be published online. Published is published is a byline.

The amazing thing about this entire exchange was a marked difference in my confidence level. Telling people I'm a writer and following it with "but I'm not published yet" used to be so painful and embarrassing but Thursday it didn't bother me at all. Maybe I was drained from fighting with math for the eight weeks' prior. Maybe I was having a CFS "brain fog" moment and it will come back and hit me in another three days. But I suspect it's because I have finally FINALLY owned up to the fact that I AM a writer.

The point of all this rambling? Simple. If you write, you're a writer. Let me rephrase. If you write CONSISTENTLY and with a BURNING PASSION you are a writer. No byline, no problem. You'll get there if it's your goal. Just keep at it!

So today I want you all to repeat after me: I AM A WRITER! Say it with pride! Say it with confidence! Say it so loud that your cat looks at you like you're insane! Oh wait...he already does that.

Happy Monday everyone!
Go! Be Bold! Be fearless!

What was YOUR most recent defining moment as a writer?

10 comments:

  1. Let's hear it for no more math! Never one of my favorite subjects, either.
    And good for you. Be confident - you have a plan and know where you're going. And you will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for no more math!! Congrats on finishing that.

    The book store sounds awesome. And maybe it would be a great place for a book launch or speaking event WHEN you get published. It never hurts to plan ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm ... I STILL am hesitant about telling people I'm a writer, which goes to show it doesn't depend on where you are in your career, but as you said, it depends on your confidence (and, to a large extent, your willingness to tolerate the inevitable follow up questions). And, congratulations for surviving and conquering the MATH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love math. Does that make me the weird writer of the group?
    I started feeling comfortable telling people I was a writer when I was published. I am proud of you for doing it now. Because you ARE a writer--published or not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha--just had to take some author photos in OUR little town bookstore, and I found myself stumbling to explain..."Well, I wrote a book, but it's not published yet, but I need some author photos, and if it gets published I would LOVE to do a signing here..." Yeah. Epic FAIL on my part. Glad you were able to articulate better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!! Jen, what an awesome moment. I think the minute we start believing it...believing it for ourselves, that is when success follows. I am just learning to do it with my writing and am getting good at saying...I am a photographer! Congrats on being done with math! whooooo-hooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I am a writer, too, even if I'm not published yet. Confidence is such a lovely thing! And yay for the end of math!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your "I am a writer" response at the bookstore. Love the description of the bookstore, too. What a sweet spot to explore. And, Happy UnMath Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate math, too. I only had to take one, though.

    I still took two because I failed the first one...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan! If you love math, more power to you! I just don't get it!! I wish I did. it would have made my life the past two school terms easier!

    Hello Heather: I think it's great that you had those pictures taken. So what if you haven't been published yet. If you work hard, you will, and you'll already have your first book signing location :D

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)