Monday, April 2, 2012

Balderdash!


(My theme is an on-going story, each chapter title being a word starting with the day's letter of the alphabet. The word will either be used in the tale itself, or I'll use some form of its definition. Happy reading and thanks for stopping by! ~Jen)

"Balderdash!"

"I beg your pardon."

"You heard me."

He looked over his paper, the rim of his glasses. "I take it you're agitated."

"Agitated? That's an understatement. You saw her. You saw what they did to her."

"Yes." He folded the paper and looked at her. "Did she see you?"

"I don't think so. She was too busy trying to figure out why she wasn't dead. I managed to get her upright before she began mumbling about her father."

He nodded. "I see. And the key?"

"Still where it belongs." She smoothed her skirt. Looked at her reflection in the glass. "We're going to have to tell her."

"Who?" He was back to reading his paper.

"The bloody queen. Imogene! Pay attention!"

"Easy, Lil. You'll ruffle that serene expression you're known for."

Lil's mouth flapped open several times before she stormed over to him. Instead of ripping the paper out of his hands like she'd intended, she took his scone -hot, buttered and blueberry: her favorite- and left.

"You'll have to tell her you know." He called after her.

"Balderdash!" He'd made her drop the scone.

16 comments:

  1. I love your idea for the AtoZ challenge. So glad I stopped by. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny!
    And at first I thought you meant the game...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great scene! Now I want a hot, buttery scone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the disintegrating death star in the shape of a heart ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What does she have to tell her? Did he retrieve the scone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't keep doing this to us . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting excerpt!

    Happy Monday!

    My A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great scene. Love the world Balderdash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jen! Thank you for your lovely comment!

    I loved this post and the one below it too! This is a great story :) So exciting. I'm looking forward to your C post :)

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great scene, and great WORD. Balderdash is a perfectly lovely word that mostly sits on a dark closet shelf getting dusty. Thanks for trotting it out. Happy A-Zing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,

    What a great post! I think this is my new favorite blog! I will definitely be back to see what you dream up for the other letters, and to read more of your lovely writing. I am following now.

    I am doing the A to Z Challenge as well. Take a peek at my blog too if you get a chance! I write humor, or at least I pretend to.

    Best,
    MOV
    http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the suspense. So since I am a day behind, I'm off to read "C".
    Have a good one, Jen!

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)