Friday, April 6, 2012

ENOUGH



(My theme is an on-going story, each chapter title being a word starting with the day's letter of the alphabet. The word will either be used in the tale itself, or I'll use some form of its definition. Happy reading and thanks for stopping by! ~Jen)

**forgive the lack of post yesterday. life, as they say, got in the way **

She screamed it. Standing in the middle of her apartment, Imogene had had it.

"Enough!"

The woman stopped her rummaging through the cupboards, spun around and stared. She didn't seem at all shocked by the outburst.

"Enough." Imogene wrapped her arms around her in a frail attempt to defend herself from the strangeness that had recently become her life. "Who are you? What do you want? Why did those ... people shoot me! I've never done anything to anybody! Except for that time I stole that garden gnome, but that was in the sixth grade and I had to do it or Tina Windstead would beat me down into the concrete every day at-"

Surprisingly strong, the woman gripped Imogene's shoulders. "My name is Val Morningside." Her voice was soft this time, not aristocratic, not dripping with sarcasm. "I cannot hope to explain everything to you. But I know someone who can. I'm here to take you to him."

Imogene shook her head and shrugged out of Val's grip. "I don't want to go anywhere. I want to stay ..." she looked around her. The apartment wasn't home. It was where she slept, where she fled the "real world" and her horrible job and all the people around her that just didn't get it.

"What don't they get?"

Imogene blinked.

"You said, 'They just don't get it'. What don't they get?"

Imogene had not realized she'd said anything out loud. She took a deep breath, fighting the urge to cry. Nothing -nothing- had gone right since her mother left. Not that anything had gone right before her mother left.

Val smiled , briefly, and said, "You feel out of place and over whelmed."

Imogene stared out the window, nodded.

"I understand. I've been there. And I promise you, if you come with me, that can be fixed too."

"You can fix me?" Imogene turned to look at Val. "Me? That's what's wrong you know. Me."

"Balderdash! There's nothing wrong with you at all!" Val turned and walked toward Imogene's bedroom. "You're just stuck in the wrong time, that's all." She turned and winked. "Just like I was."

10 comments:

  1. Stuck in the wrong time? Intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting...like that twist at the end as my imagination is already pulling me...did u post yesterday and i just not see it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balderdash has got to be one of the most fun words to say - ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ending, Jen, along with some great dialogue. Your creative juices are flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wrong time...I think I am too. :-) Can't wait to see what comes next. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great EOS--"stuck in the wrong time". Definitely a page-turner :) Subscribing to find out more tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great weekend, Jennie Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute story. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo. I like how you ended this one. I felt a nod at "A Wrinkle in Time."

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)