Monday, May 7, 2012

A-Z Reflections and a big THANK YOU



Good morning! Today, Alex has asked us to post a reflection on April's A-Z Challenge. What can I say? The challenge is perhaps the most intense and exciting thing I've participated in since I started blogging over 4 years ago. Sadly, I wasn't able to post every day (and I'm STILL trying to catch up on all the emails, comments, and NEW FOLLOWERS I have received! Don't give up on me yet, guys!

What did I learn? A lot. I learned that if I want to write -and I mean REALLY want to write- I really have to go after it. It's not going to just show up at my desk, scoot my school work aside and say, "Yo! Get with it!" I kind of wish it would. Make things a heck of a lot easier if it did.

Or would it?

Discipline is an ugly word in the world today. People like instant coffee with their drive-thru breakfast. When you're going after something as elusive seeming as publication, spending your spare time doing what others consider work (and it IS HARD WORK) sometimes you can feel alone. And more than a little crazy! Or, if you're like me, you find your time monopolized by things that, though you chose to do them, takes away from you the precious writing time you crave.

I realize that no one can give me more time. I simply have to MAKE the time for the things that are most important to me. AND I don't need to beat myself up with I feel I fall short. Others have different schedules. Others have more, I don't know, gumption to post every day and comment and visit and -well, I swear THOSE people have a time turner and I wish they'd let me borrow it weekly!

That all said, I had an amazing time with the challenge, met some amazing new blog friends and I look forward to meeting others that I've yet to visit! I'm sure I'll be thinking about this challenge for a long time. It has really helped me take a good, hard look at my schedule and my priorities.

Thank you Alex, Lee,Matthew, and all the other amazing co-hosts out there!! You guys ROCK!!! Seriously.

10 comments:

  1. You nailed it Jen - we have to MAKE time.
    Glad you had a blast with the Challenge. Even if you fell a little behind, considering all you had going on, you proved even the busiest person can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making time for writing is so, so hard, but so important! I have to remind myself of that every time I turn down an invitation or ignore friends to write. Congrats on finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. def a discipline of making time to write...esp if it has really bitten you...we can come up with all the excuses in the world as to why we dont or havent but...its where we come alive which in turn makes the rest of life better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, discipline doesn't just come easily, you have to work at it. But on the other side, don't be too hard on yourself if you miss out on writing for days (or even weeks). Just dust off and try again!

    I debated all the pre-work for the A to Z challenge that it took away from my regular writing time, but it was definitely worth it. I don't participate in every blog challenge and tour under the sun, but a few choice ones do help with focus and meeting new bloggers. It's a time management thing more than anything.

    Great job finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to all of that! ;-) This week, I am going to start trying the 30 minutes of writing a day. I will let you know how it goes. Oh and back at you...you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent point about discipline. It's a choice what you spend your time on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look at time like money and weigh the importance of each purchase. I try to budget wisely but, by the time all the bills are paid, there's never enough left over! So, sometimes you just need to pay yourself first!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blogging does take a LOT of time. Luckily I have mornings to devote to it.

    Congrats on all that you got accomplished over the A-Z Challenge!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I totally agree - blogging takes up a lot of time! But by joining a Challenge like the A-Z you learn to improve your skills and commitment to writing daily! Although by the end of the month it was a lot harder to complete these tasks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulation on finishing the challenge. During the challenge I didn't visit as many blogs as I would like to but, cross my heart, I'm visiting every single one with the reflection post! I am so glad my journey brought me here.

    Evalina, This and that...

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)