Ordinary Holiness

my view from here

I'm reading another Anne Lamott book. Plan B. Chapter one is as wonderful as I remember Traveling Mercies being. I'm struck by her honesty, clarity, and ability to translate the ordinary into the holy. Or maybe she just can see the holy that is the ordinary.

Ordinary holiness.

What would extraordinary holiness look like?

(Green tea, back patio, chirping birds - I wonder if they know we put out bird food yesterday?)

Lamott wrote about taking care of people around you. Alleviating local suffering especially when you feel powerless to save the world. I recall what I struggled with last week: the thought that I am seriously slacking in the area of giving back, of using talents, of sharing gifts. How I feel I'm skimping on the calling.

A song popped in my head. Don't laugh; it's nothing spiritual, at least not at first blush. It's the song played during the end credits of How to Train Your Dragon and the only line I can possibly extract from all that pop-soda cheer is -

"Let yourself go..."

Hmmm. Serendipitous. One week and the message is still the same.

Let yourself go...

TELL ME:
What's one thing you could do to alleviate someone's suffering?
What would it take for you to let yourself go?
What, to you, does letting yourself go even mean?

Comments

  1. I loved Plan B!!! I read it several times. I love the way she can tell a story so humorously, but with such feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes forget how important it is to get outside yourself and help someone else. Whatever it takes to remind us of that -- a book, a song, I think it's worth it let yourself go, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are here for just that purpose - to help others have a better life. To support and encourage. It takes effort to do so, but we reap as much of a reward as the person on the receiving end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, this is so funny ... I just finished reading my first Anne Lamott book too, but the one that I read is called "Crooked Little Heart". She sure does go into depth on feelings and thoughts as she weaves her story. I'll keep my eyes open for the ones that you mention.

    Great post. I try to take care of those around me, but you would be surprised on how often that bugs the ones that I actually know.


    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann LaMott is a treasure.

    Letting myself go--means to hear God's voice and following what He says, without question. No second guessing, hesitation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts