Tuesday, August 7, 2012

tomatoes for tuesday


Who knew there were so many ways to use fresh tomatoes? And here I was worrying how many more salads I was going to have to make! Don’t get me wrong; I love fresh tomatoes in salads, but there are only so many salads one can eat! Well, that I can eat at any rate. Seriously, though, have you ever gone all gung-ho on something in your garden only to have them take over? You’re landed with a trunk load of fresh produce –too much for your fridge and appetite but not enough to put a deposit on a booth at the local farmer’s market. Hmmm, says I? Do I pick them and let them rot on the counter? Maybe just leave them and let the birds have a feast? Yeah! I can say I’m recycling…

Then I start feeling guilty. You know, the whole “but plants are people too” argument. Ok, I’m not THAT crazy, but you get the picture. I went to the time and effort to plant these bad boys so I might as well respect the fact they went to all the trouble to actually grow. And guess what? My research paid off! Check out some of these recipes:
(disclaimer: all recipes found at allrecipes.com)


Garden Fresh Tomato Soup – basic, yes, but oh so good!

Queenie’s Killer Tomato Bagel Sandwich – I HAD to include this one. Not only does it look amazing, but the name is hilarious!

Watermelon Tomato Salsa – come on, you know you’re as curious as I am!

Insalata Caprese – Mmmm, one of my favorites!

Sundried Tomatoes – waaaay better than my idea of sitting them all out on a tray to dry in the sun. Trust me, in Georgia, in the summer, you do NOT want to do this. Unless, of course, you LIKE ants…

And of course, if you don’t feel much like cooking, you can always freeze them and use them this winter. This idea is looking more and more appealing..

Have any of YOU grown any veggies over the summer? Did any of them survive or did they end up like my bell peppers and grow upside down and rot before I could pick them? But that's another story for another day…

9 comments:

  1. We can't seem to grow anything.
    You can also make homemade salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to make fresh Bruschetta with tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yummm. Let the copying and pasting begin, starting with that luscious tomato soup recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fried green tomatoes and green tomato pickles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipes! :) Those sound really good.

    No . . . unfortunately, we don't really have space (or time) for a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Insalata caprese is a MAJOR part of my diet (in the food-I-eat kind of way, not the lose-weight kind of way). Give me tomatoes, mozzarella, and a bit of pesto or basil, and I'm on cloud nine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've enjoyed catching up, Jen! Didn't realize that I had been away so long. Thanks for the recipes and letting us know how you are settling in.

    Hope your weekend is great and that things will all work out just fine with your career plans.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello there.
    i seriously have to make my own sun-dried toms, as they are delicious and yet so expensive.

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)