Worse things could happen...

found HERE

Do you wear glasses? Do you LIKE wearing glasses? Do you wear contacts to avoid the fact that you wear glasses?

Confession time: when I was a kid, I went to the eye doctor. He went through all the tests and told me that I did not need glasses. My eyes were fine.

I was devastated. 

No joke. I had always equated glasses with genius and now I had no excuse for being a nerd. You must understand, dear children, when I was in school, nerd was not another word for "hipster". Nerd meant what it really means: to be labelled a nerd was to be a close cousin to Sheldon Cooper an that was UNACCEPTABLE!

Now days, I'm older, wiser, and don't care so much what others think. I'm nerdy and proud to be. If someone confuses me with a cast member of The Big Bang Theory, I smile (unless it's Howard but that's another story...).

I finally got my glasses. They're actually pretty cool and I get compliments on them. Funny how times change, isn't it? My glasses help me read, do school work, work on the computer and even watch movies. They are tools, not who I am, but I like to wear them. They allow me to hide, in a way, from the rest of the world. I feel when I put on my glasses, as if I'm covering up a secret identity. They make me feel mysterious and, yes, smart.

How do you feel about glasses? Any loud and proud nerds out there? Who's with me in thinking Howard Wolowitz is one of the creepiest characters on television? Does reading make you feel smart? Or do you simply read to escape (there's nothing wrong with that!)

Have a wonderful Tuesday my fellow book nerds :). If you're in the path of Isaac, I pray for your safety and that of your family and friends. May the Force be with you all! And don't forget your hat.

~Jen

**OH! In other news, I have a notion to revive an old blog - Sagewood Manor. Wander over and let me know what you think!

Comments

  1. I've needed glasses since fourth grade. I wore contacts from junior year of high school to about ten years ago, when my lab manager told me he didn't approve of contacts in the lab. (Personally, I think contacts and safety goggles are safer than regular glasses with no side shields.) The contacts did a better job of correcting my vision, but glasses are less of a hassle.

    As for reading, I do it to both learn and to escape. Different books serve different purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one wants to be Howard.
    I've needed glasses since I was in high school, but I switched to contacts many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wear glasses. I love them. Not sure if I'd go for contact lenses (the thought of something against my super-sensitive eyeballs is a bit... you know...) * shudders*
    When I was very young, my brother always teased: Boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses... which bothered me then. Now I realize it's a load of hogwash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been a proud-of-my-glasses person. I like the new, larger glasses as they frame my eyes, not slice them in half.

    The downside of this is that now I have progressive glasses so I can read. That is another story in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wear contacts--I don't mind looking nerdy (nerdy is awesome) but I hate having anything on my face. Plus, glasses always seem to slide down my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra!

    I would think that contacts and safety glasses WOULD be safer than just plain old glasses. Hmmm...strange.

    Very true! Different books, different purposes. Sometimes I read to enjoy another world; most times (at least lately) I read for information!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alex -

    Very true! No one in their right mind would want to be that character...unless, of course, it was in the show...I hear they pay well ;)

    Hi Michelle -

    I'm with you! The idea of sticking something in my eye gives me the shudders!!

    That's so not true! I think some guys find we nerdy girls mysterious :D At least, that's what I'm going with!

    Hi Susan -

    I love my glasses though mine are smaller than the ones you're speaking of. They're square too - it's hip to be square, you know :D

    Hi Golden -

    I understand. It took me a while to get used to having them on my face. In fact, I felt claustrophobic for the first year I had them! Strange but true!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts