Friday, August 31, 2012

you're reading that again?

found HERE

That's what I hear every time I pick up "A Wrinkle in Time". Why it's my favorite book I couldn't tell you. Have I read other, fantastic books in my life? Yes, of course! But I am always going back to the familiar faces of Meg, Calvin, Charles Wallace, and the Mrs. W's. If you haven't read Madeleine L'Engle's Newberry Award winning book, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy. You'll get to meet my very first crush! A handsome red-head named Calvin O'Keefe (might I be so bold to add that I actually MARRIED a handsome red-head? His name's not Calvin, but he's tall, skinny, and has tons of freckles which I find most charming. See girls? Dreams can come true!)

We all have books that speak to us. Stories that we carry with us our whole lives. I can't imagine NOT being surrounded by books and stories. People laugh at my piles of books; I joke about having an incurable disease or a serious addiction but the truth is, if I had to give up anything in this world, reading would NOT be the thing I sent packing. Reading is power. It gives you thoughts and ideas you may never have before considered. Story is powerful: it unites us. How many times have you started a conversation with a stranger and found common ground because you both read Harry Potter/The Hunger Games/Twilight/ Pride and Prejudice/The Lord of the Rings? Without those stories, the conversation would have ended at "Nice to meet you."

Reading is a gift; be proud of your books and pass the love along to others. This weekend is the annual Decatur Book Festival near my home town. I'll be out there all day Saturday with hundreds of other book lovers and nerds, soaking up some pages and swimming through stories as of yet undiscovered. If you're in the Atlanta area, you really should check it out! Otherwise, grab a favorite book, and spend your Labor Day weekend with some old friends.

Happy reading all! And happy Labor Day!
Cheers,
Jen

PS: 
found HERE.
*This goes for adults too!

11 comments:

  1. There's a series of YA books that I re-read every single year and have done so ever since I was in 7th grade and I first stumbled across them.

    Enjoy the festival!

    PS...

    I love that "your kids on books" graphic. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Jen! You are so right. Peter Pan, Anne of Green Gables, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia...over and over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always end up back in a comfy chair curled up with Jane Eyre and Mr Rochester. I don't read it every year, but I really look forward to it. And I have to read it in the winter! Great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing about teaching children is that I got to enjoy those books over and over. Now I have grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Labor Day! I have favourite books I read over and over again. Why not? if you enjoyed the world and the characters, might as well go for it a second time . . . and third time . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Book Festival sounds like heaven! Hope you had a blast!
    (I still find Dr. Seuss books to be the most charming ever... for kiddies, I mean... though I DO love reading them to little ones)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you all the way on the things you are saying in this post, Jen. I have read "A Wrinkle In Time" but not since the 90's. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

    Books make you think and don't tell you how to think (like many movies do). I have probably 600 books in our average sized 3 bedroom manufactured home. They tucked inside every room (except for the small bathroom, lol).

    Like you, re-reading an old favorite is like visiting old friends.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love this post - and your graphic selections are awesome!!

    I've had A Wrinkle in Time on my 'to read' list for a long time, and I think you have just inspired me read that next!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks guys! The festival was awesome, as always. We came home with more orphans...er...books than we could carry! Seriously. I mean, when people are shouting "Books $1!!!" What's a nerdy-girl to do?!?! Buy them!!

    @M.J. - thanks for stopping by! there are so many series I would love to reread every year! If I did, though, I'd never read anything new!! Speaking of new...I seriously need to pick up Percy Jackson...

    @elrods - so glad to "see" you here! Hope all is well :) There's nothing like revisiting old friends between the pages of a well-worn book!

    @excuseme - thanks for stopping by! Our new house has a fireplace and we've put our big, comfy chair right next to it. Something tells me, that chair will see LOTS of reading this winter :D

    @Susan - I love that! I have seven nieces and nephews and I LOVE giving them books and pointing them towards new stories!

    @Talli - thanks for stopping by! I've been laughed at for reading books a dozen times, but I don't care! I find comfort in my old friends...and reaffirmation of the hope that the stories bring :)

    @michelle - it is a little slice of heaven :) we go every year and always come back with some new discovery!

    @Kathy - oh 600 books!!!! I don't feel so bad now :D I haven't sat down and counted how many lovely tomes I have, but I should! It's always fun to see people's reactions when they see my shelves for the first time!

    @Amy - thanks and thanks for stopping by! Oh, you must find the time to read "Wrinkle". I can't promise it will stick with you like it did me, but it is one of the most wonderful books I've ever read! And it's a modern classic! Let me know what you think when you do read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a committed rereader. A Wrinkle in Time is one of many! And I reread The Lord of the Rings every year. How can anyone not want to revisit with their favourite characters?

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)