Monday, October 1, 2012

October is HERE!

photo SOURCE

And you know what that means, right? Halloween is just around the corner. I love ghost stories any time of the year, but there's something about the autumn air that makes them just a bit more spooky. In honor of October and Halloween, I want to do a little shout out to the genre that I love writing most of all: HORROR. Yes, horror. Now, don't cringe too much. Horror literature is far more than just teen slashers and gruesome, deranged, inbred mass murderers. You can thank Hollywood for that misconception of all horror. Stay tuned for posts on horror literature, horror writers, writing in the genre, and a few more treats (and possibly tricks)!

Yesterday kicked off Banned Books Week. I am a HUGE supporter of this celebration of all books challenged and banned and I always enjoying passing the info along. The American Library Association does something special every year for BBW, which is the last week of September/first week of October yearly. Check out their website (HERE) as well as the Banned Books Week website for the current list of challenged titles and titles past. They have virtual read outs, resources for teachers and readers, and other fun stuff to show your support for reading and your disdain for censorship.

Oh, and do yourself a HUGE favor: go pick up a past (or current) banned or challenged title and read it. Educate yourself BEFORE you make a decision for or against censorship. In the past three weeks I've read two books on that list, one which is on the CURRENT list even though it's 30 + years old. If you haven't yet read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee or Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury TRUST me when I say READ THEM! You won't be disappointed. I'll be posting a bit more on Banned Books Week this week and I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts about the issue of book banning and censorship so feel free to comment and/or email me!

It's a stormy day here in metro Atlanta. I hope things are wonderful in your hometown. Have a wonderful Monday, a blissful October first, go pick up a pumpkin spice latte and read a banned book!

Cheers!
Jen

photo SOURCE

8 comments:

  1. I don't do coffee - can I have a pumpkin cookie instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have plenty of banned books in my collection, including To Kill a Mockingbird, which I'll have to reread. Happy banned books week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex : A pumpkin cookie is an acceptable substitute :D

    Meredith : Me too! I found a quote the other day that said "the perfect library has something in it to offend everyone". I'm not into offending people for the pure offense of it...but I'm sure you get the truth in that statement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. things that go bump in the night....what fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delores : I hope so! I'm going to do my best to make it fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for horror! And boo to censorship! This is my favourite time of year; nature's beginning to wind down, Halloween is just around the corner and it's my birthday next week - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cold and wet here....and i am all for reading...esp banned books...ha....there is probably something important in them if they caused that much hubub

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angeline - yes, hooray horror! I don't hear that much :D October is my favorite month, the start of my favorite time of year!

    Brian - Indeed! If a book is being challenged, I always want to know why. It's usually because the author had something important to say and it's uncomfortable for people to face the truth that they've communicated.

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)