Monday, October 29, 2012

The Blustery Day

Good morning dear readers,

How have you all been? I know I've neglected you for the past month and I want to know EVERYTHING! Ok, maybe not everything, but a reasonable amount to know what you've been up to and how life is treating you. I'll start:

- Finished up another term of excruciating school work! Learned that nonfiction writing aka reporter style journalism is NOT for me. I don't mind essays and vignettes (which I plan to write more of) but putting together a story for the sake of reporting an issue or interviewing a subject for newspaper or publication is not my cup of tea. I admire those who do this type of writing and do it well.

- Went to the Country Living Fair at Stone Mountain Park. Wow! If I were to write down all the ideas I gathered from the past two days, I would overload blogger with fabulosity! It was nice to get away from my computer, from school deadlines, and from creating worlds and getting into a world that I have long loved: the world of creative living. (For that story and some photos for the frivolities, wander over to my other blog: Sagewood Manor. PS: I'll be posting some pictures here as well over the next few days.)

- It is COLD!!! The wind has been positively howling around the house since last night and I'm sitting here with a cup of warm chai and my space heater humming happily at 85 degrees. Yes, kids, it does get down below 55 degrees in Georgia! [yeah, yeah, I know: all you Northerners and Canadians think that's pathetic but think about it: when you're used to a constant 70's + nine months out of the year, think how YOU'D feel if the temperature suddenly dropped 20 degrees!]

This little blog has been through a lot in the past few years and I intend to chug it along for years to come. I did a little bit of soul searching when I was away and (as you can see) even changed the look. I'm a writer; I write and that's what I intend to do here. I'm not one of those fabulous bloggers who can spit out 15 ways to edit your manuscript or 9 things to do to get published tomorrow. I wish I was, seriously: I envy you guys who produce such marvels of technical and practical writing wonder. There is so much information I'm still processing from my writing classes and I do wish to share it here but...well...it's just going to have to trickle in.

I hope you don't mind my indulging in some personal writing for a while. Writing for school has left a gaping hole in my writing life and I'm desperate to just spit out some words for the sake of putting them together and seeing where they lead. SO, if you wander by and notice I'm just rambling, forgive this creativity-hungry author and her need to wax eloquent about the mundane (or the not so mundane...you should see what I've been researching lately!)

Have a fabulous Monday, an awesome rest of the week, and, seriously, tell me what YOU'VE been up to!

Cheers,
Jen

10 comments:

  1. I couldn't write newspaper styled writing either. And it's much colder here now. Fall always arrives so late...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've been busy! Great to see you here again. My autumn has been pretty crazy so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex: For us, Fall is never long enough! We're just getting an early chill thanks to the hurricane!

    Talli: Thanks! Great to be here again. I think everyone has had a crazy autumn. I'm looking forward to some down time this December!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you back in the land of the living...
    The first bit of writing I dabbled in, was non-fiction... but now I'm focusing on fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh yeah, i'm right there with you on the non-fiction writing. I tried that in college and it was not a thing i was remotely good at.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Well let's see... I had a baby! That's pretty big! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't write for journals, either. But I prefer writing fiction, which might have something to do with it.

    LOL about the cold. It snowed last week in my (Canadian) city. It feels like Christmas not Halloween. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to my gr-daughter's Irish dance competition. Her joy is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle: It's good to be back :) I enjoy writing vignettes and essays but when it comes to straight reporting, I get the sudden urge to run the other way!

    Sarah: The nonfiction class was required and, while I learned a lot, it was not for me. I found myself constantly picking my ideas apart to see if there were any fiction stories to be found in them! Hmmm, I'll take that as a hint and run with fiction!

    Lisa: That's a HUGE deal!! Congratulations :D That's wonderful. I'm sure that will keep you busy!!

    Stina: HA! Yes, I knew when I made the comment about the cold, everyone north of me would laugh :D Snow in October! Wow. That makes for some cold trick-or-treating!

    Susan: I love Irish dancing and would love to know my feet could be that coordinated. How did your grand daughter do?


    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you affected by the hurricane?
    As I was reading how you know that journalism is not for you, I was thinking, that's because you're a fantasy writer. You like making up your worlds and characters, and you are SO GOOD at it. No wonder you're feeling the void.
    Write on!

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)