Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hodgepodge

Good morning!

Just wanted to pop in and ramble a bit. I hope you're all having a wonderful week! Where I am, it's blissfully cold, wet, and grey. I am one happy writer :)

* Been reading David Lebovitz's EXCELLENT book The Sweet Life in Paris. Even if you've never had an infatuation with The City of Light (as I have), you'll get a kick out of his humor and his everyday situations in Paris. Not to mention the recipes are to die for!!

* I've been trying to get through Carson McCullers' The Heart is a Lonely Hunter for about two months now. It's beautifully written but it is so...slow.... Seriously. I read five pages and feel like I should have read 30. Anyone else read this one? Honestly, is it worth finishing? (It goes back to the library Monday)

* Book Club just started reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. I'm only a few pages in, but it is blissfully British. I'm really looking forward to this one.

*Last, for my Literary Theory class, I'm reading Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko. This book, while not what I'd normally choose to read, is beautiful. It's very cyclical and takes a bit to get the feel of who it's talking about and when. It's written like a spiral, or a Celtic knot, in and out, weaving stories together to form a whole narrative. I've never read anything like it. Even if you're not a fan of literary fiction, I'd recommend it (PS to make it even harder to follow, there are no chapters)

So-I've been busy where reading is concerned. Also been writing a bit thanks to the gloomy weather. How is everyone doing? Sorry I haven't been around much this week. I started a volunteer program and have a paper due. Not to mention Thanksgiving is next week here in America. And guess who's hosting 22+ people at their house only 2 days before they host another 20+ people for a left-over party?

Yep. Me.

I am crazy.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, literary theory! I don't think I could wrap my mind around that! Are you enjoying the class? I'm wondering how you find time to read and blog while in school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Paris... and want to go over next year... hopefully... if the budget allows for it...
    Celtic knot? I love the image it conjures... I'm off to google the words... see what I come up with... the book sounds different and refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of books to juggle at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a voracious reader, girl! Good for you! I have three books going right now, but won't try to get them to write the titles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool...i will have to check out the sweet life of paris....that sounds pretty cool...and i can not wait to visit one day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You inspire me with all of your reading...well, you inspire me to turn the TV on! (Hahaha!)

    I love that you have a Thanksgiving party AND a leftovers party. You rock, girl!!!

    (And happy be-earlied Thanksgiving to you.)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you HAVE been a busy reader! Have a wonderful, mostly stress-free Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Jen,

    Nice to meet you... Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    How great that you can READ so much. I used to read tons, but not as much now that I write. If find myself reading blogs and blogger friends' novels mostly these days...

    I wish I had more time ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ms. Sparrow: It's actually not as intimidating as I was expecting. I'm enjoying it and learning how to look at books from different perspectives. Ha! Finding the time is hard, as you can see I'm not blogging as much as I'd like but I try to wedge it in between all the school work! Have a great week!

    Michelle: Paris is on my bucket list of places to visit and that book about it is wonderful! Really gives you a sense of being there. As for the Celtic Knot reference, did you Google it? I know it's an Irish thing and the book I used it in reference to is about a Native American but, considering I'm a bit of both, I figured it was appropriate :)

    Susan: Thanks to school, I've learned that I can read two novels in four weeks! It's crazy for sure; thank goodness I'm a fast reader!

    Erin: We hosted Thanksgiving last year too and it was fun...the leftover party was a spark of inspiration a few weeks ago and I figured, Why not? Of course, those invites were sent out BEFORE we knew we were hosting Thanksgiving again! HA!

    PS: If I didn't respond to you here, I responded via email. Whew! On with more reading...

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)