Friday, February 22, 2013

Happy 88th Birthday Edward Gorey



Interesting: if you Google "Edward Gorey" the search engine also suggests that you may like Tim Burton, Maurice Sendak, and Edgar Allan Poe. I couldn't agree more. Most people have at least a nodding acquaintance with Gorey's work. If you doubt me, watch Masterpiece Theater's Mystery night on PBS. The opening sequence is animated Gorey images :)

Now, I know some of you don't lean toward the dark and macabre, but I enjoy a little bizarre twist to the every day. Gorey gave the world that in his works. I have even found Edward Gorey Christmas cards in which a group of Dickensian characters are holding a burial service for a fruit cake. I don't care who you are, that's funny.

Edward Gorey did a production of "Dracula"-


He retold the Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles" (and I really need to find this!) -


And I even found a site that retells Dr. Who episodes in a Gorey-esque style but the links were all broken. Boo Hiss...(if anyone can find this and it actually works I'd be ever so grateful :D)

If you want to know more this master of macabre and darkly humorous art, check out The Edward Gorey House. It's the perfect site for a grey, blustery, cold winter's day.

Cheers and happy weekend!
Jen

4 comments:

  1. Not a big fan of this kind of story, but do love the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tribbles story is funny. So is burying fruitcake. That is where it belongs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://shaenon.livejournal.com/48834.html is the source of the Gorey Star Trek -- Shaenon Garrity drew it after finding an article talking about Gorey's love for Star Trek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie: Thanks for stopping by. I don't know many who are fans of his stories. I do lean to the macabre. The art work is fun, though, especially the fruitcake. I wish I could find a picture of that...

    Alex: I agree! I almost ordered those cards but a friend gave me some Edgar Allan Poe Christmas cards that I used instead. Yes...I am THAT weird!

    spiralgalax: Thanks for the link and source info! I'll definitely check it out! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)