Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Insecure Writer's Support Group: March 2016 Edition WHAT MAKES YOUR CREATIVE JUICES FLOW?


Good morning! Welcome to another posting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. If you aren't familiar with the Group, go HERE to learn more and sign up! A huge THANK YOU to our fearless leader Captain Alex and all the fabulous co-hosts this month :)

Oddly enough, I'm not feeling insecure today at all. I've spent the first two months of this year doing some random plotting on a series but mostly I spent January and February reading. Every moment I could, I read - no - devoured book after book. I read 16 books in two months which is a feat even for a voracious bookworm like myself. And you know what it taught me? There really is a time for everything in our lives and there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a "time out" and enjoying something simply because you love it!

Other things came out of all this reading. I was able to better develop my plotting ideas. I got a better handle on what this new series is really all about. I've FINALLY owned up to my horrible habit of trying to make my main characters waaaay to "good" because, let's face it, that's not believable. Lastly, I've made peace with a writing/blogging issue I've been fighting for the past five years. More on that to come....

So no, I haven't been writing away the first months of 2016. I've been resting and reading and basically trying to stay warm! Seriously, though, I've learned that my creativity needs a dormant period to flourish. Now that the sun is out and the nights are no longer freezing, I think I can finally feel it starting to push out from the frozen ground.

Don't be afraid to take a step back, breath deeply, and let yourself replenish your creative stores. If you never take time for yourself, your creativity (as well as all areas of your life) will suffer. Your work is YOUR WORK. Period. If you need a break, take it! If you need to fill the well with the words of others, do it! Know that your work won't be and shouldn't be like anyone else's. I know it's frustrating to see the books and art that come out and how it can sometime look the same and nothing like what you're doing. But smile and know that this is GOOD. YOUR WORK is unique to YOU! Your time, your tastes, your plots, your stories, your blogs don't belong to anyone else. They're YOURS.

So make them the BEST that YOU can!

Happy IWSG Day!! Now get out there and CREATE!! Or just read a good murder mystery. You know, whatever makes you smile :)





11 comments:

  1. I'll second that. You really do have to take a break every now and again to get your feet under you. A little distance give perspective, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I can't focus every single day on writing, or my brain would shut down and I'd never get anything of substance done. I admire people who can write every day, and if that works for them, that's great. But I need a little room to breathe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to plant seeds to get a harvest. Reading and musing are planting seeds. Best of luck with the harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal: Indeed it does! This time, it helped me hone a direction for this blog. It's been floundering for so long!

    Megan: I'm with you! I've always admired those intrepid souls who pound away day after day but I'm just to one of them. I have to do other things. It's these other things that keep me grounded and lend the realism I crave in my writing.

    Roland: Thank you so much! I agree. These seeds have been germinating for a long time. I'm ready to see what they bloom into!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree! I took December and January off of most writing projects. Now I'm scrambling away again, but I needed the break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading other books does show us what we can do better with our own. It wasn't a waste of time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know they say that a writer must write every day, but I've never agreed with that statement. Pulling back is just as important, and reading other books brings a wealth on insight over our own writing. Sounds like you're in a great spot right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree!! It's motivating to read the work of authors whose artistry challenges me to step up my prose game! Reading is the most enjoyable investment of our time, especially when paired with coffee:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steph: Good for you! I always feel as if I need the winter to hibernate and re-evaluate...mostly hibernate :)

    Alex: I have to read to refill the well. Every time I pick up a book, even if it's an old favorite I've read a dozen times, I always learn something from it.

    T. Drecker: Me either. I used to mentally beat myself up because I wasn't one of those 1,000 words a day writers but now I know that's not for everyone...and it's not the norm!

    Samantha: Oh I agree! Books and hot beverages keep me going! I have to read, to keep myself inspired and to remind myself that it takes all types of work to make this literary world of ours go around! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rest is exactly what our minds need sometimes to come back to our projects stronger than ever. I'm a full-time freelance writer, so I never get a break from writing, but I can take some time off from my fiction-writing projects unless I'm on deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love This... Wheres the Membership Registration Form?!?

    ~ shadowfire ~

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)