The 2016 A-Z Challenge brought to you by The Letter "I"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

IRISH MOSS
chondrus crispus
aka: carrageen, red seaweed, chondrus

photo from www.botanical.com

Irish Moss isn't a moss at all but seaweed. Known as a demulcent, it's great for skin and mucous membranes. Because of its ability to absorb liquid and move it out of the body, it is used for respiratory problems such as bronchitis. Being a seaweed it's high in iodine which makes it excellent for thyroid issues.

One of its other names is Carrageen which is Gaelic for "moss of the rock" and the Irish used the seaweed during an outbreak of plague in the 19th century.

Folklore tradition tells us that Irish Moss was carried by passengers and sailors on long trips for protection. It was also used around the house. Traditionally the herb was scattered under rugs for protection of the household and to ensure a steady flow of money into the house or into the pocket of the one who carries it!

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.

Comments

  1. Very cool! I've never heard of Irish Moss before. It's got some interesting uses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it does! It's also used as a vegan thickener in some foods instead of gelatin. I am constantly amazed by herbs :)

      Delete
  2. Not sure I buy that last use.
    All my research into sea kelp and I never discovered that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, but I figure it can't hurt to try :)

      Delete
  3. Never new abotu this seaweed. Fascinating story :-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really a writer (except ponderings on my blog), but I always find plants interesting. I looked through your alphabet so far, and I am familiar with some of the plants and some I'm not.

    Live and Learn visiting from A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Glad I posted some plants you're not familiar with. I was going for a balance between the familiar and the unusual!

      Delete
  5. A very interesting peek at Irish Moss. Love that you're doing this series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting properties of the plant! How did they use it during the plague? Is it edible?

    Yvonne V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is edible! Some people put it in salads (dried) and I've seen it in herbal remedy blends. I also think you can eat it fresh!

      Delete
  7. In Ireland, carrageen is still currently used in those ways. Out in the country, people are seen collecting baskets of it to see, dry out for food use or to burn. Thanks for your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just one of the many things I love about Ireland! The old ways have been lost or buried over here but there they are still a part of many people's lives.

      Delete
  8. In Ireland, carrageen is still currently used in those ways. Out in the country, people are seen collecting baskets of it to see, dry out for food use or to burn. Thanks for your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if that works. Did you try any of those suggestions ;)?

    Liz A. from
    Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet but we sell it at the shop I work in. Perhaps I'll put a bit under my door mat and see what happens! :)

      Delete
  10. Demulcent is a word that I've just learnt from your post, thanks. Here from the A-Z, and enjoyed reading. Irish Moss has some intriguing uses :)

    Best wishes,
    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great word? There are tons of interesting words I'm still learning from the herb world :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts