The 2016 A-Z Challenge brought to you by The Letter "J"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

JUNIPER
juniper us spp.
aka: dwarf juniper, ground juniper

photo from www.botanical.com

Juniper is steeped in holy folklore. It was once a symbol of the Canaanite fertility goddess Ashera in Syria. A Juniper with an angelic presence is supposed to have hidden the prophet Elijah from angry Queen Jezebel in the Old Testament. Even the Holy Family was supposedly sheltered by a Juniper when they took refuge beneath one to hide from Herod's army when they fled to Egypt.

Juniper was burned inside homes in the Scottish Highlands on New Year's Day to purify the house and all its inhabitants. In Central Europe, Juniper berries were also customarily burned indoors three days prior to Beltane (May 01) to fumigate the house and welcome summer.

Today Juniper is a necessary ingredient in gin distillation giving the drink its distinctive bitter flavoring. The berries can be made into a tea and drunk as a diuretic. Its antiseptic nature helps it remove toxic wastes and increase urine flow. Used externally as a poultice it can be applied to wounds to prevent infections.

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.

Comments

  1. Juniper is a great plant. I need to have some buried around here. Get rid of the cobwebs, so to speak.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites and I love the way the essential oil smells!

      Delete
  2. And without juniper there would be no martinis so there's that to be grateful for!!!

    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge http://www.kathleenvalentineblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a useful plant. I love the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love the trees too! They're beautiful!

      Delete
  4. What does it smell like when burned? I hope it's pleasant.

    Liz A. from
    Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to have the Juniper tea! It has a lot of medicinal use! Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remarkable plant.
    I like learning the properties of the plants, but I also like learning about their folklore.
    Thanks so much for sharing :-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remarkable plant.
    I like learning the properties of the plants, but I also like learning about their folklore.
    Thanks so much for sharing :-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts