The 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE brought to you by The Letter "N"



Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

NIGHTSHADE
specifically atropa belladonna


photo found at www.botanical.com

Nightshade isn't a plant but a family of plants. The benign and more familiar of the family are tomatoes, eggplants, and potatoes. For this post, however, I want to focus on one of the more infamous examples: Dead Nightshade or Belladonna.

Deadly Nightshade flourishes in the shade though it will grow in sunlight but it won't thrive. It has a beautiful flower and tempting, shiny berries but do beware: the plant is very, very poisonous. If taken accidentally, the poison may be prevented by swallowing a large glass of warm vinegar or mustard and water as soon as possible. Not sure what will happen after you've drunk either of these concoctions but I wouldn't leave home if I were you.

According to legend, the plant belongs to the devil and he goes about tending and trimming it at his leisure.

The poison in Belladonna is Atropine which, if misused, can certainly cause death. If it is used by a skillful herbalist or homeopathic doctor Atropine is effective in the treatment of eye diseases. This is one remedy I wouldn't recommend you distilling yourself, unless of course you have a fondness for purging via vinegar.

Sorry.

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.

Comments

  1. Amazing on how plants can cure and kill depending on how they are used.

    I’m exploring different types of dreams and their meanings.
    N is for Nightmares, Night Terrors and Naked Dreams
    Stephen Tremp’s Breakthrough Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often use herbs and plants in my writing and hope to kill someone off with deadly nightshade at some point. Gives me something to look forward to. ;)

    #AtoZchallenge
    Meet My Imaginary Friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen it referenced often when watching shows or movies that take place in medieval times :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first learned that tomatoes and potatoes were in the same family as the deadly night shade I was amazed. The plant world is a fascinating place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know nightshade was a family of plants. I thought it was poisonous period.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we moved into the farmhouse (I was 6), there was a healthy nightshade plant. My grandmother had been a pharmacist, ordered Dad to dig it up and dispose of it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of belladonna but not nightshade. I was taught at a young age not to pick berries out there because you never know what they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes, nightshade. There was a posoning case in England some time ago - some children picking berries, I believe, and there happened to be nightshade in amongst the blackberries. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Practical Magic was just on yesterday. I believe this is what they used to incapacitate the guy, although it ended up killing him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Warm vinegar? Yug. I'll stay away from those berries. I had no idea those common plants (tomato, eggplant, potato) were in the same family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Warm vinegar? Yug. I'll stay away from those berries. I had no idea those common plants (tomato, eggplant, potato) were in the same family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is certainly a plant that will command respect. And quite famouse too.
    Isn't it fascinating how certain plant can be poisonous when misuse dand benefic when used well?

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is certainly a plant that will command respect. And quite famouse too.
    Isn't it fascinating how certain plant can be poisonous when misuse dand benefic when used well?

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  14. We cover all digital and marketing needs for your business. Our marketing is unique and creative unlike others.
    http://auratrends.co.uk/
    http://grabbit.com.pk/
    http://theleggingshop.se/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts