Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The 2016 A-Z Challenge brought to you by The Letter "P"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

Pennyroyal
mentha pulegium
aka: puleguim, run-by-the-ground, lurk-in-the-ditch, pudding grass, piliolerial

photo found at www.botanical.com

A species of mint, Pennyroyal is native to Europe and parts of Asia and traditionally used to repel fleas. In the country, it is referred to as "run by the ground" and "lurk in the ditch" because of the way it grows. Another name "pudding grass" was given as it was formerly used in stuffing for hog's puddings. 

Pennyroyal is the smallest of the mints but one of the most pungent and aromatic. it is the main ingredient in Pennyroyal tea, an old cottage garden remedy for colds and delayed menstruation.

Pennyroyal loves rich, moist areas such as ponds and stream edges. Incidentally, that's where mosquitoes and gnats also flourish and Pennyroyal is as well-known bug repellent.

Though helpful, especially for calming the nerves, it should be avoided by pregnant women as it can cause abortion. If using to repel fleas, make an infusion in water or alcohol and spray around your pets bedding. I've heard you can spray it on collars and let them wear it but the smell is strong I think it would bother your dog or cat more than it would help. I know my cat would NEVER wear a fragrant collar. Or a collar in general. He's a bit of a nudist...

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.

6 comments:

  1. Funny. Your cat's a nudist. Leo wears a color. It seems like a good, natural remedy for a big problem. Interesting that it brings on menstration, or ends pregnancy.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he is! We tried a collar and a leash on Colby. No way! He wasn't having any of it!

      Delete
  2. I'm partial to pennyroyal. I had a beloved cat by that name but she wasn't interested in the plant. I however found it to be quite lovely. I often grow a number of mints - they seem quintessential to any garden for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an adorable name for a cat! And I too am in love with anything from the mint family :)

      Delete
  3. I love mint. I do brew it into a tea sometimes and last year I succeeded in drying my own mint. I'm particularly proud of it :-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)