Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The 2016 A-Z Challenge brought to you by The Letter "Q"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

QUEEN OF THE MEADOW
eupatorium purpureum
aka: gravel root, Joe Pye Weed, kidney root

photo from Alchemy Works

Queen of the Meadow was used extensively by many Native American tribes as an antibiotic, antiseptic, diuretic, nervine, relaxant, stimulant, and tonic. It's common name, Joe Pye Weed, was given in honor of a Native American healer in New England who used it to help cure typhus.

It's a soothing herb for the urinary tract and can help dissolve kidney stones. It has also been used in rheumatic conditions and other inflammatory diseases.

Externally Queen of the Meadow essential oil is used in massage oils, bath oils, and liniments directed at treating cellulite.

The tall, stately blooms appear in summer and earning its title of Queen. If you decide to collect the roots for drying, they're best when gathered in autumn.

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.




7 comments:

  1. I love all the bits I'm learning here! I didn't realize this was called Queen of the Meadow, and far more regal and delightful name than Joe Pye Weed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the juxtaposition between the two names. Kind of " prince and pauperish" if you ask me!

      Delete
  2. I love all the bits I'm learning here! I didn't realize this was called Queen of the Meadow, and far more regal and delightful name than Joe Pye Weed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since beginning to follow you during the #Challenge, I am behind in reading your posts. Trying to visit as many others sites as possible. Looking forward to catching up soon. Enjoying what I am able to read. Thanks. Visiting on the letter R day where I have written about a hotel in Italy that I used in a second novel. Wish I were writing you from there rather than North Carolina. Having fun, however. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Stepheny. I'm behind too. There are so many good blogs out there! Thanks for stopping by when you can

      Delete
  4. Never heard of this flower before. Does it grow here in Europe?

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I'm not sure. That's something to research!

      Delete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)