The 2016 A-Z Challenge brought to you by The Letter "R"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

ROSEMARY
(rosmarinus officinalis)

(photo found at www.botanical.com)

Rosemary conjures up images of lovely cottage gardens and delicious mediterranean dishes. The Latin name means "dew of the sea" because it grows in abundance in its mediterranean home.

In ancient Greece, Rosemary was believed to strengthen memory, students of the time would wear sprigs of Rosemary in their hair while studying. To the Greeks and later Shakespeare, Rosemary because a symbol of remembrance.

Rosemary is a long standing folk remedy for nervousness, headaches, and stomach pains. It may also help with colds, sore throats, and sluggish liver. Rosemary has been used for centuries in hair tonics to stimulate hair growth and retain hair color in dark hair.

If you're feeling crafty make an herbal sleep pillow with rosemary and lavender to help alleviate insomnia and restless sleep.

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.




Comments

  1. One of my favorite things to do with Rosemary is to knead it into bread and then roll the bread in olive oil. The combination of olive oil and rosemary is wonderful.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I could smell and taste that bread as I was reading that! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  2. Would love to try Rosemary to help with some anxiety that comes and goes. If it is good for nervousness, perhaps it would be helpful. But how? how do you use these things other than sleeping on a pillow of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use rosemary oil in an oil diffuser. Just add a little bit of water to the diffuser (they all have different instructions) and then drop in some rosemary oil. You could also get a little spray bottle and fill it with water, put in about 8-15 drops of the oil, shake it up real good, and spray it around the house. Visit an herb/natural health store and ask if they have rosemary tinctures or tea :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I will pursue this and let you know if I think it is helpful. Interesting!

      Delete
  3. Rosemary is one of my favourite plants. I use it extencivelly, especially in cooking. I love it's falvour and taste :-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary has always been one of my favorites. Here in Savannah, people grow it along their driveways and walkways. I'm forever rubbing a bit if it between my fingers on my walks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts