The 2016 A-Z Challenge brought to you by The Letter "S"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

SAGE
(salvia)

(photo found at www.botanical.com)

Sage has many reputed curative properties. In the Middle Ages it was widely known as a cure-all. The most well-known traditional use for sage is for mental clarity and improved memory. The Old English word "sage" meaning "wise man" comes from this traditional usage.

Superstition tells us that if all is well in the house, sage will flourish in the garden. If things are amiss, the plant will droop and wilt. Sage is said to carry powers of wisdom and longevity. Bundles of dried sage, called smudge sticks, are burned by some to clear the air of negative energy and spirits.

Anybody interested in having an herb garden must have sage. For you writers out there, it's a lot of fun to use in your stories. Have a struggling college student turn to traditional remedies out of a desperate attempt to get good grades on his midterms. Have it work! Throw in a wizard, a "wise man" and give him a fondness for sage herb. Use sage as an ongoing barometer to give clues to the emotional weather throughout a novel. Perhaps an eccentric, a paranoid classmate, a desperate homeowner burns it in a vain (or not so vain?) attempt to get rid of a poltergeist. A demon. The moody old spirit of Uncle Ross.

Then again, if you DO have a moody old sprit hanging around, try burning some sage. At the very least it'll inspire an essay :)


***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.

Comments

  1. Ahh, beautiful sage! I love the flavor of it in cooking, the fragrance of it in the air, and the look of it in a garden.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do adore sage! One of my all time favorites!

      Delete
  2. I see sage at the nursery, but I've never purchased one. Outside of stuffing, I don't know what else to use it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can drink it as a tea but it's very pungent. I use it in spice blends too. It can be good for upper respiratory issues when brewed with a bit of honey :)

      Delete
  3. This is another of my favourite herbs. I use this extensivelly in cooking too, I love its aroma maybe even more than rosemery.
    I do have my own sage on my terrace, but I haven't been able to dry it in a satisfactory way yet. If you have suggestions, I'm all ears :-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage doesn't dry pretty. Try putting it in a paper bag and hanging it upside down to dry. That will keep it from flattening and keep the dust off of it. Anytime I dry it on a rack it shrivels up and looks sad :(

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts