The 2016 A-Z Challenge brought to you by The Letter "U"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

UNICORN ROOT
(true unicorn root: aletris farinosa aka: stargrass, starwort, star root, crow corn
falso unicorn root: chamaelirium luteum aka: starwort [hmmm...])


True Unicorn Root is found along the entire Eastern seacoast of the United States and is used mostly for stomach aches and for colic. The fresh root can be slightly narcotic when used in large doses. That narcotic property, however, is lost when the root is dried. When dried it is a valuable bitter tonic used to tone up the stomach. Because of this toning effect, it can be helpful to women who have a tendency to miscarriage.


This herbaceous, low growing perennial can be found in areas east of the Mississippi River. False Unicorn Root is primarily used for female issues especially infertility. If taken in large doses it can be a cardiac poison, however, when taken in moderation, this root may also be helpful for urinary weakness and liver and kidney disease.

False Unicorn Root grows in rich, moist woodlands and has lovely white flower fronds that resemble what one may think a unicorn horn to look like. False Unicorn has tiny flowers arranged in a tight spike where as True Unicorn has much larger flowers that are shaped individually like bluebells. They are bright white and look as if they've been dipped in flour.

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.




Comments

  1. Cool. This plant has some very useful properties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Actually, I know I have seen that plant but id not know the name or how it was used. Good to add to my collection of useful herb knowledge.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen it growing in the woods when I've gone hiking. It was a long time ago, however, and I just thought it was a pretty weed.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I'll be needing that herb...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I think you're good. You can stick to looking for real unicorns! :D

      Delete
  4. This is a wonderful plant, I really like it. And I mean, with that name it had it easy with me ;-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! Anything named for a unicorn (or a dragon) gets a top vote for me :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts