The 2016 A-Z Challenge brought to you by The Letter "V"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

(SWEET) VIOLET
viola odorata

photo found at www.botanical.com

The humble Violet was once the national flower of Athens. Pliny the Elder wrote that it was good for gout and spleen disorders. He also mentioned that a garland of Violets, when worn like a crown, may banish headaches and dizziness. Whether it works or not, I don't know, but I do know you'll look pretty trying :).

Since 500 B.C. Violet has been recorded to be beneficial for skin cancer when the fresh leaves are used in a poultice. The leaves and flowers of violet are used in cough syrups and for helping with upper respiratory ailments including asthma. Violet might also be helpfu lfor tumors, boils, abscesses, pimples, swollen glands, and malignant growths. 

Some say the name "Violet" comes from the Latin "vias" which means "wayside" referring to where they grow. Violet flowers are a herald of spring and a symbol of love and affection. It has been used for centuries in perfumes and the flowers can be used to make an uplifting tea. You can also candy the flowers and use them to decorate cakes! Lovely, helpful, and tasty; I'd say, Violet is dang near perfect!

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.



Comments

  1. If they could help with headaches and dizziness that would be wonderful as I suffer from both now and again. And who wouldn't love that color! They would make excellent cake decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're beautiful cake decorations! My mom used to candy them and put them on cupcakes for baby and bridal showers.

      Delete
  2. The fragrance of violets is so lovely! I've made crystallized violets to decorate pastry and they really do add a special touch.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they do! I love how the sugar glistens on them like dew. It just makes them look even more fairy-like than they already do!

      Delete
  3. You know, I've never known that violet are used for healing. And it seems to be such a powerful plant!
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly didn't know either until I started reading about them. I knew that they were used in Flower Essence Therapy and I'd smelled the essential oil before but I didn't know of the therapeutic properties. :)

      Delete
  4. You know, I've never known that violet are used for healing. And it seems to be such a powerful plant!
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts