The 2016 A-Z Challenge brought to you by The Letter "X"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

XUE JIE
(dragon's blood resin)

(photo found at www.botanical.com)

Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) states that Xue Jie or Dragon's Blood has sweet, salty, and neutral properties. Sounds like the perfect temperament for a dragon to me! It is associated with the heart and liver and used in many TCM formulas geared towards those systems. The resin comes from the Sangre de Drago tree, an Amazonian rainforest tree that emits a blood-like sap when cut. This resin is known throughout South America for its healing properties and has slowly made its way into TCM.

Typically Dragon's Blood is used to treat superficial skin issues such as cuts, scrapes, abrasions, insect bites, and ulcers. When applied to the skin it creates a protective barrier or second skin that keeps out harmful impurities that could hinder the healing of the wound.

TCM is a complicated and fascinating branch of herbal study and one that is definitely worth digging into if you're interested in holistic healing. I owe it a large debt of gratitude for past and present supplements, Acupuncture treatments, and helping me fill my "X" and "Z" slots for this challenge :D

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.



Comments

  1. I have heard of Dragon's Blood but really knew nothing about it but if it comes from the Amazon it must have some magic in it.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many herbal remedies that most people will never see here in the US. The FDA keeps out a lot of good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're telling me that two different culture connected this plant to dragons?
    Now that's weird.

    I have never heard of this plant before. I'm enjoying learnign new things :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts