The 2016 A-Z Challenge brought to you by The Letter "Z"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

ZHI ZI
gardenia
(gardenia jasminoides)

(photo found HERE)


Known as the happiness herb, Gardenia is helpful in cases of restlessness, irritability, anger, hypertension, and similar ailments.

Maybe we should send some to Congress.

In TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), Gardenia is used to clear heat in cases of high fever. It is known mostly, however, for the delicious aroma of its beautiful white flowers.

It has been used to treat high blood pressure and should not be used if you're already on a blood pressure medicine. There is nothing, however, problematic with indulging in that amazing fragrance. If you ask me, taking a few minutes everyday to breathe deeply of gardenias, roses, or any other fragrant flower or herb is a calming ritual, therapeutic to mind, body and spirit. Indulge to your heart's content!

_______

And that's a wrap! The 2016 A-Z Challenge is over. Heave a great sigh of relief, kids. We've made it!

Did YOU post every day?
I did!! 
Did YOU read new blogs and meet new bloggers every day?
Nope. Me either.
That's where I drop the ball every year. If you've visited here during the challenge more than once, THANK YOU!!! I'm slowly working my way over to pay back the gesture :)

Now GO! Prop your feet up. Relax. Enjoy your weekend.

You've earned it.

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.

Comments

  1. You've certainly opened my eyes to a lot of new herbs and lore. I love the scent of gardenias. Thanks for playing. I enjoyed it so much.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by! I enjoyed your posts too. I'm only sad I didn't get a chance to read more of them! Boy did the networking part of the challenge get away from me! Thank YOU for playing along. It was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. You are the Queen Of Herbs!

    It's a wrap!
    Congrats on reaching the finishing line.
    See you again next year - same time, same place!
    Don't forget to visit my Y-post to see what book you've won!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thank you. I really enjoyed the challenge this year. I only wish I'd had more time to network. Aw well...there's always the Reflections post. And thanks again for the e-book!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on finishing your A2Z. '[m sorry I haven't commented on many of them, but I have you on my Pinterest board to come back to - I'm looking forward to it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No worries. I didn't get by as many blogs as I'd hoped to but I'm thankful the list and the blogs are still up. We can always peruse them later. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Very clever to use the Chinese name. ^_^

    Congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I knew I'd have to veer into Chinese medicine for a couple of plant names. Thank goodness they use those tricky letters!

      Delete
  5. Hey, I'd never imagine gardenia was used in medicine!

    And yey!! You completed the challenge! That's a huge achievement and you should be rightly proud of it.
    I completed my challenge, but I didn't do as much networking as I would have liked - or planned - due to an unexpected event life trhew at me in the middle of the month. But hey, everything was sorted out in the end, so I'm happy :-)

    It was a nice journey, I enjoyed readign you blog very much!
    Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We BOTH completed the challenge and that is an accomplishment :) I understand. I didn't do as much networking as I'd hoped either. I also didn't get to read as many of your posts as I wanted to. Like you said, life happened! But I'm so glad I found your blog! I'll stop by soon! Cheers :)

      Delete
  6. This is the first place we've lived that I can successfully grow gardenias. They are gorgeous and so fragrant and thank goodness low maintenance or they wouldn't be an option for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are everywhere here in Savannah and they have such a long blooming time. Between the gardenias, magnolias, honeysuckle, and jasmine summer her pretty much smells like heaven!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts