The 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE brought to you by The Letter "E"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

Elder
sambucus nigra

photo found on www.botanical.com

A favorite folk remedy of the Gypsies, Elder was once so widely used in rural Europe that it earned the reputation of being the "medicine chest of the country people". That reputation is well deserved considering all parts of the tree is useful. The leaves have been used as an ointment for wounds and bruises. In an infusion, the Elder Flowers are reputed to be good for the skin when applied topically. Drinking the infusion can help with anxiety, sore throats, and colds. They also make a delicious cordial. The berries are well known as a good addition to cough syrups, cough drops, and great when brewed as a wine. 

In England, Elder Trees were also cultivated for protection against witches. So plant yourself an Elder Tree! It may protect you from colds, flus, and wicked witches! At the very least you could invite the witch in and offer her up some mighty fine wine.

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.

Comments

  1. So that's where Elderberry wine comes from! Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I would love to be able to make my own :)

      Delete
  2. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw your title. Elderberry wine. Is that in a story? They didn't use it in Arsenic and Old Lace, did they?
    Wish I had an elder tree in my backyard.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may have used it in Arsenic and Old Lace. I need to see that again! Anytime I hear "elderberries" I think of Monty Python when the French knight tells King Arthur "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!" The scene pops in my head every time.

      Delete
  3. I knew the berries were used to make wine but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew about the cough syrup usage and the wine but everything else was new to me as well!

      Delete
  4. Lol! Protection against witches... That's awesome. Oh my. If I ever move to a place with a large witch population, I'll have to remember that. =)

    Crystal Collier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just plant you a hedge of elder trees around your property and you'll never have to worry about witches again :D

      Delete
  5. I thought I had some elderberries at my place, but unfortunately it was their poisonous cousins. No wine for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Glad you didn't find out they were poisonous after making the wine! That would be an interesting plot twist to a mystery though. Elderberry wine's evil cousin!

      Delete
  6. Elderberries are good for tea, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I haven't had them in tea in a long time. I'll have to get some and give them another try!

      Delete
  7. Really a treasure. And I bet there are legends abot it too? ;-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are but I couldn't find any except the thing about witches. I'm going to have to do some more digging.

      Delete
  8. I will have to look up elder tree in Herbology and Natural Cures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do! And if you find out anything I didn't put here, let me know! I'm always eager to learn more about plants :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts