Friday, April 8, 2016

The 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE brought to you by The Letter "G"



Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting next! Cheers!!

***

Goldenrod
solidago canadinsis
aka: blue mountain tea

photo found at www.fcps.edu

Native to Great Britain, Goldenrod came to the New World and was used by the Cherokee for tuberculosis, neuralgia, and fevers. It is usually drunk as a tea and the roots are steeped and used as a diuretic for kidney and bladder issues. Goldenrod is also good for upper respiratory congestion.

The leaves and flowers make a terrific yellow dye for natural fabric crafting. Here's an interesting little fact: when bruised, this herb smells a lot like wild carrot. Just don't pull it up and eat it! It definitely does NOT taste like carrots!

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.


24 comments:

  1. Hi, Jen I am here via bonus challenge. Hop you are having fun?
    Best Wishes,
    Annette

    My A2Z @ Annette's Place | Follow Me On Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annette!
      Thanks for visiting and yes, I am having fun. Hope you're enjoying the bonus challenge :)

      Delete
  2. I won't pull one up and eat it then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I wouldn't! I'm guessing it would taste awful!

      Delete
  3. I remember a crayon color called Goldenrod. I don't think I've ever seen this offered as a tea anywhere though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I remember that too. The name of this plant always makes me think of its color. You can probably find it at a well-stocked herb shop. I'm trying to remember if the shop I work in has it! I'll have to do a bit of research! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Don't eat the roots. I'll remember that! ;-)

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...yep. Make sure the carrot you're picking IS a carrot!

      Delete
  5. My mum used to hate Goldenrod because it got everywhere. I wouldn't want to drink it, though!
    Jemima Pett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! It does spread like crazy. I'm guessing it probably tastes REALLY herby - kind of like dirt and leaves and such. Which isn't necessarily bad but not something I'd drink for fun!

      Delete
  6. The thing about happenstance is it brings one on some alt uni adventures when least expected. I was checking out a blog on the A to Z Challenge route, and found that there is a whole side challenge of check out others challenges on a Bonus circuit. So I hopped on that causeway and found myself in this lovely botanical universe!

    Great info found here!

    Fim of Quantum Hermit: https://fimnorawestcaw.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun! I'm very happy you found your way here :) Thanks for reading and commenting. I hope you're enjoying the challenge and/or the bonus challenge! Cheers!

      Delete
  7. When I think of goldenrod, I think of the color. Very distinctive.

    Liz A. from
    Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And for some reason I feel the urge to sneeze...
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. The yellow color would be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would! It makes me think of my mom. She LOVES mustard yellows and goldenrod, while a bit more "sunny" is right up her color-taste-alley!

      Delete
  9. Interesting tidbits about the dye and the smell.

    Yvonne V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very interested in the dye aspect. I wonder if I can use the dried herb or if it has to be fresh! Goodness more research! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)

      Delete
  10. An insightful post, Jen. I'd like a tee in this shade of yellow :)
    I am visiting from the A to Z Challenge Co-host’s Team. Hope you are having a great time reading, writing and networking with co-participants of the A to Z Challenge. Cheers :)
    Co-Host AJ's wHooligan for the A to Z Challenge 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Shilpa! I'm enjoying the challenge and I hope you are as well. Thanks for co-hosting!! :)

      Delete
  11. Is this the one that makes people with allergies sneeze? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is this the one that makes people with allergies sneeze? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goldenrod can definitely affect people with seasonal allergies. Funny fact: when I see goldenrod I get the urge to sneeze and I'm not allergic to it! Must be some strange, psychic reaction :D

      Delete
  13. Goldenrod is like the last hurrah for me when I'm filming out in the prairies.
    It's a bittersweet time. I get some amazing footage but I know that the curtain is slowly falling on the prairie until next year.

    --==Kevin==--
    filmmakingnaturally.com

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)