Friday, April 1, 2016

WELCOME to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE brought to you by The Letter "A"


Hello! And welcome to the 2016 A-Z CHALLENGE!!

* confetti *

This year, I’m blogging my way through a botanical alphabet

I hope you enjoy your time here and by all means, 
come back tomorrow and see what plant I’m highlighting! Cheers!!

***

Angelica
angelica atropurpurea, a. archangelica
aka: alexanders, american dong qui, wild archangel

photo found at www.botanical.com

With Angelica's large, white flowers and tall, elegant stems, it's easy to see why legend tells us the plant's healing properties were revealed to a monk in a dream by an angel. Perhaps because of this angelic association the plant was believed to protect against evil spirits and witchcraft. The Iroquois tribes of North America used an infusion of the smashed roots as a wash to banish ghosts from homes.

The young shoots are edible and taste a bit like celery. The stems can be preserved in sugar and candied. Medicinally, Angelica has been used for upper respiratory issues, digestive trouble, and as a topical poultice for wounds and bites. Tradition holds Angelica as a tonic for women and children but should not be taken in large doses by pregnant women as it can cause abortion.

If you do harvest the roots for use, make sure you dry them thoroughly. The fresh root is poisonous. Interesting, isn't it? An angelic plant that can both heal and kill. A possible Angel of Death, perhaps?

***

All research references can be found in my Library of Botanical Miscellany

Disclaimer
These posts are in NO WAY medical suggestions. They are intended for informational purposes only.
If you are interested in pursuing natural, herbal remedies, get thee to a reputable herb shop (preferably one that is locally and independently owned and operated) and get educated!

Disclaimer II
It’s ridiculous that anyone writing about herbal and traditional remedies should have to put a disclaimer at the end of anything. 
Use your brain and think for yourself! Just as you shouldn't take a pharmaceutical at face value, 
do your herbal research and learn about the amazing plants around us.

29 comments:

  1. So interesting! What a great flower to use in a mystery. I'll have to learn more about Angelica! And look forward to learning more from you during this A to Z Challenge.
    Jessica
    http://jessicafergusonwriter.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica - Thanks for visiting! Yes, I've been thinking a lot about murder mysteries since I started working on these posts. Enjoy the Challenge!!

      Delete
  2. Great theme, Jen! I look forward to learning from your posts this month. Yes, very interesting that a plant can both kill and heal. It's all about learning what we have and how to use it. Thank God for those who have gone before us who can still teach us.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary - Yes, I"m definitely glad that I have centuries of knowledge to draw from. I don't think I'm much of the experimental type when it comes to "hey, I wonder what would happen if I ate that plant?" Happy Challenge!

      Delete
  3. As an herbalist I greatly look forward to your posts. This was great. Elegant, concise, and you made the use of the plant very appealing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie - Thank you so much! I really appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. Tastes like celery? I don't think I'll be eating it then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex - I'm definitely with you there!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yours looks interesting and I will stop by again to read about more plants. I am fascinated with what can be done with plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - You're very welcome! Thank you so much. I look forward to your visits :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess it all depends on the person. Too foolish and it will kill. Wise and it could heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! Let's hope no one uses it to be intentionally foolish.

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of this one, it sounds very versatile :) Great start to the challenge
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely theme!

    So interesting that the same root can kill or cure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Misha! A lot of your "deadly" herbs are the same way. They just need a deeper understanding to heal. I certainly don't want that stress!

      Delete
  10. I'm buying some Angelica. I'm tired of my ghost. Very interesting post. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Oh, and good luck with that ghost :)

      Delete
  11. From this passionate gardener, I am delighted to find your blog on the first day of the #Challenge as I begin to work my way through the list. Love the presentation of this blog, readable, uncluttered, easy to figure out where what is. Thanks for all the hard work it takes and especially in the next 26 days. I want to FOLLOW you by e-mail notifications, but I can't find any place to sign up. HELP/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stepheny, and I'm glad you stopped by! I don't have a FOLLOW by email button up yet, but I'm working on it. I'll stop by your blog and let you know!

      Delete
  12. So intersting! I'm fascinated with the powers of the herbs.
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an interesting plant...can both heal and kill. It would slot nicely into a murder story.
    Enjoy the A to Z Challenge, Jen!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! You enjoy the Challenge too! I think it's off to a great start :)

      Delete
  14. Love this line: healing properties revealed to a monk in a dream by an angel. Also like that the Iroquois used the root to banish ghosts. I'll be sure to wash the root first, so I don't end up as one of those spirits. Great A-Day, Jen. #AlohaFriday to you.

    Gail’s 2016 April A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that! "Wash the root so you don't end up a ghost yourself!" Great :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. Ohhhh I love this!

    I love Angelica, never knew its story. So wonderful! Going to keep following your blog!


    Have a wonderful A to Z,
    Sylvia van Bruggen

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)