Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June Edition: IWSG


Wow! I was out of town over the weekend and completely forgot about the IWSG. Guess I wasn't quite ready for June to get here :) Thanks for stopping by and forgive my late posting. Thanks also to Captain Alex and all our FANTASTIC co-hosts for this month. As always, you guys ROCK!!!

***

This past month I've done more gathering than actual writing. I have a pile of folders and notebooks on my shelf that want to become books. They get shuffled and shifted each time I rearrange, each time we move. So I decided to go through them and do a bit of pruning. YIKES! I just have too many papers lying about and in a 700 square foot house, they take up precious real estate.

Each book is getting a 21st century makeover. Every paper in every folder, notebook, and binder is getting scanned, compiled into a PDF and whisked away through the ether to wind up - TA-DA! - on my new laptop AND my external hard drive.

This may not sound like a big deal to most of you but for me, it's HUGE! I LOVE paper. I've a consummate note taker. If I have the choice between taking a picture of something, typing it on my computer, or jotting it down on a scrap of napkin, I'm choosing the napkin. There's just something about the feel of ink gliding over fiber that makes my little writer heart sing. But let's face it: it's just not practical to continue hoarding file upon file especially when space is scarce. Also, I got to thinking that I need to better protect my work and, let's face it: paper is fragile.

This is definitely a HUGE task and one I'm enjoying. I'm rummaging through some old ideas and getting re-inspired. I uncovered a whole slew of outlines and summaries for the WIP I've been slowly outlining and a lot of character references I'd forgotten about. It's a good thing this rearranging. It's a good thing to be clearing out some cobwebs and getting a fresh perspective on things. And the new organization is really going to let my imagination breathe!

Maybe that's been my problem all along. My muse is suffocating under a great big pile of napkins!

TELL ME: Have you ever cleaned out your writing and rediscovered a former story, one you may have forgotten about or just needed some space from? Did the reorganization of ideas help or hinder your flow of writing??

Cheers!

17 comments:

  1. That will be a huge task. But think of all the space you'll have now!
    And yes, I have cleaned out some writing and found an old story. I rewrote it and it became my first published book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you saying that! Here's hoping I have some stories that are publishable. I feel confident I do...I just have to MAKE myself turn them into stories and not just organized piles of ideas!

      Delete
  2. I totally hear you about the muse suffocating under piles of napkins! In my case, though, it's scrap paper. So much paper, so little time.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, paper, napkins, I've even found old post it notes from previous jobs with little character notes on them. It's an addiction, I confess :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, yes, yes I have done that! It's so exciting to find an untold story, isn't it? It's like finding money in my pocket I didn't know was there. One of my goals for the summer months is to clear out - not clean out - but clear out my office. I have compiled more 'stuff' in here. It's nuts. Hmm...maybe I'll find a gem story too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to rediscover an old story idea. My challenge is turning them into something more than just an organized idea! I feel if I can get them organized and they aren't all out staring at me I can focus on one and work my way through them. Whew! Now THAT'S an undertaking!

      Delete
  4. That has happened to me a lot. Actually, there is a backpack in one of my closets that is full of notebooks from a previous life. I'm kind of scared to look at it!

    @Kathleen01930 Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know that feeling! I have some old stories that are frightening to go through. I love the ideas behind them but the writing is atrocious! It is good to look through them from time to time to see how I've progressed...still...I shudder to think of some of my earliest ones!

      Delete
  5. I've discovered old versions of some of my chapters. I cringe to see how poorly I wrote back then. Hopefully, I won't come back in a couple of years and think the same thing about my current work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I do the same thing! I have three (yes THREE!!) rough drafts of a trilogy I started over 15 years ago. Every time I take it out to read it, I'm horrified at how cheesy it is! But I love the idea and the characters won't leave me alone. I suppose they still have something to tell me...I just need to let THEM tell the story and get out of the way!

      Delete
  6. I love going through old ideas. Like you, I tend to jot them on paper, including random napkins, post-its, scraps, etc. A lot of times, ideas will combine, too. Good luck with getting everything scanned and organized. That is quite an undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is an undertaking but it's been a long time coming. I've looked at this pile for years telling myself I need to get it under control. This summer seems like the perfect time to do that!

      Delete
  7. I still have a couple drawers of old ideas I'd love to go through.

    I recently went through my second desk and trashed a lot of copies of my stories. They were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round edits. I kept the originals though. They are all in bound notebooks and written by hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where I'm at with things. I find multiple drafts and have to decide which ones to keep! With the scanning method, I keep all of them so I'll have plenty to pull from! I love finding old drafts I've written by hand. They can be difficult to read, but fun to keep!

      Delete
  8. This is a wired story to tell you quickly. Though a writer myself, and understand your paper problem, napkins have taken on a whole new purpose. I collect napkins for a different purpose. If you peal the two or three-ply backings off a napkin, you are left with a thin skin that can then be used in paper crafts. One of those being altered books. Glue and covering pages with these napkins gives you a wonderful surface to continue working upon. No writing on MY napkins please, probably stolen from parties or given to me by friends, because they are valuable bits and pieces to collage with etc. Just saying.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this! I enjoy bookmaking and collage. I've never thought to use napkins as layer material for either. Thank you for sharing this :)

      Delete
  9. Eep! This sounds exactly like me! I would choose the napkin too! I can't believe you're actually sorting through things and scanning them. I've been putting this task off for years, and I keep saying I need an intern to do it... It must be so, so satisfying as you get through the stacks.

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)