Wednesday, August 3, 2016

August Gathering: Insecure Writer's Support Group

I'm a bit late to the party but WELCOME to the August edition of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. If you want to learn more click HERE! And, as always, click HERE to read the entry from, and thank, our fearless leader Captain Alex.

***

August is Summer's last hurrah. Students are heading back to school and the beach is still peppered with tourists looking for one last escape from their real world of work-a-day woes and responsibilities. I've been spending my down time reading and finishing -finally finishing! - cleaning out old files and papers. Have I done any writing? No. Still on sabbatical, but I'm getting a better handle on my writing. I've learned a lot about my writing, about my voice, style, and content. It's been an interesting process and I'm excited to get back into writing come September.

As for insecurities, the only one I can think of is in terms of presentation. Summer has allowed me some time to soul-search, to really ask myself WHY do I write and WHAT do I need to write. Not want  to write but NEED to write. That kind of question and soul-searching can send your head spinning and make your heart flutter a bit. While I'm excited to relax into authenticity, I'm a bit nervous as to the reception. I don't have a big following. Most of my friends and family don't even read my blog (even when I go the distance to post links on every social media outlet I'm a part of). Still, the minute I start this new journey, I feel they'll come out of that proverbial woodwork to see just what I might say. And, of course, when we write from memory, [Spoiler alert!] we may remember things that others don't. Or, worse, we may remember things in ways others can't.

Truthfully? I don't care. I mean, I care but...I can't care too much or I'll go back into the box I've been living in. Do I have any expectations for my return to writing? Only to hope to add more authenticity to my work, regardless of genre.

I hope you're all having a wonderful summer. I hope you slide into these next few weeks, be it returning to school or returning back to the "real" world from vacation. Enjoy your August and I'll see you all again, right here, in September!

Cheers,

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why memoirs and non-fiction can be so controversial: we remember things differently. It's funny that something so simple can cause so many problems... But everyone takes their own unique perspective into (and out of) a situation.

    But your searching will help you develop as a writer, so keep doing it--even though it makes your head spin! :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kelsie! And thank you for the encouragement. I never really thought about how differently the same situation can be interpreted until I started writing my own memories. It should be an interesting ride!

      Delete
  2. Write and post what you want. Doesn't matter what others might think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, the most direct encouragement. Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. So you're going memoir, eh? Definitely a scary avenue, but totally worth taking the journey. I'm with Alex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's taken a lot of soul-searching (for lack of better terminology) but I'm happy with the result this summer-long hiatus has rendered. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait for you to "relax into authenticity" and write away...!
    I just know it will be epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best, Michelle! Thank you, as always, for your encouragement!

      Delete
  5. It's good to do that soul-searching even if it does make your head spin and your heart flutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it has definitely made my head spin! But it's good for me. Makes me sit up and take notice of my surroundings and my writing. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. You have to shut their voices out, whether they are real or imagined. You are a fantastic write. I await your next work.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I always appreciate your encouragement. :)

      Delete
  7. You can't think about what others will think when you write--that's too limiting. You have to just trust your instincts. nd, of course, there is always the option to try a different form of self-expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen. I seem to have gone back and forth for years between styles of writing and storytelling. I feel, however, it's the only way for me to find that authentic voice that my works need. Thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)