If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino - Book Thoughts





"If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" by Italo Calvino is delicious. It is a miasma that ebbs and flows, erupts and recedes. It is not a book meant to be understood, but moved through as one might move through a pond filled with lily pads and reeds and all manner of delightful thing by which to get distracted.

I've read three books this month, all of them interesting. This one, however, is one of the most interesting, delightful books I've ever come across. I'd heard about it for years but had no idea what it was about, which made it perfect for my personal reading challenge: twelve books (at the least) about which I know little or nothing. After reading this, I can honestly tell you that no one can tell you what it's about. No one can prepare you for the joy of shifting and curving along the path Calvino mischievously, and expertly, guides you. It's usually listed as experimental fiction. It should be shelved under "required reading for people who truly love language and story for the sake of story".

This is a book meant to be savored. Don't pick it up expecting to read it in one sitting or even one weekend (though you may persevere better than I). Enjoy it. Chew it up slowly. Have fun. And definitely enjoy the ride.

Happy reading,

Comments

  1. Jen, congratulations on your grand prize win for the IWSG anthology contest. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  2. Wow Jen, you really have me thinking. A book with no clear purpose but so beautifully told you can't put it down. I am entrigued. It sounds like real art. Thank you for sharing your review today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a strange little book. I absolutely loved it! Upon closer examination, there IS a purpose but it's so intricately wound in the reading and isn't apparent until after you've read it. It's an adventure to say the least :)

      Delete
  3. Weird. Since I read most books within a day or two, that would be a very...different reading experience for me. I might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. I usually plow through books. This was a nice change of pace for me. I enjoyed having to slow down, chew, and swallow before moving on to the next chapter.

      Delete
  4. I started to read this a few months ago but it didn't grab me so I put it down. I might have to try reading it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see why it wouldn't grab it. It's not a book for everyone, that's for sure! Noting wrong with that :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts