IWSG January 2017 - A Year of Ink-Stained Hands

Good morning!

Welcome to a NEW YEAR of posts from the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Our Fearless Leader Captain Alex created this wonderful group and you can read more about him and this group by clicking the links:

Captain Alex
Insecure Writer's Support Group

*~*~*~*~*

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I hope the holidays treated everyone well and that you are all ready for an exciting NEW YEAR filled with opportunities. Writing is a never ending process. If you're a true writer (and I believe you ALL are) then you know that finishing one story or one essay or one novel isn't enough. There are more waiting in the wings of your imagination. More that want their turn in the spot light. These stories want wings and they want your blood, sweat and tears to push them out of the nest and teach them to fly.

Stories are hard evidence that magic exists. Writers often complain about not having enough time to write or not having enough hours in the day to put in a few more sentences before sleep over takes them and another day, another week, another month is gone and the screen is still blank. The notebook still empty. And yet we know - KNOW - the truth:

Writing only happens when we finally exhale and begin.

That's why this year I have only one, major goal.

To Exhale and Begin

Exhaling story to screen and paper; beginning the ideas that have been sucked dry by the Beast of What Everyone Else Says You SHOULD Be Writing. A year of writing for the pure pleasure of it.

What if you spent this next year with ink-stained hands? What if you pulled out those old ball-points and brushed against fields of fiber and tilled the fertile soil of your imagination? I'm not talking about finished productions and I'm not talking about six figure book deals. I'm talking about a year of writing. Just writing for the sheer pleasure of the ink stained page. Spend time nourishing the Writer and gently remind yourself why you started writing in the first place. Get back to the essence of writing. Reacquaint yourself with the simple, beautiful magic of word-smithing. The feel of pen strolling over paper. The pleasure of creating words that flow and slide and sail. I'm tired of striving for stars and thunder. I long to mine for dandelions in the cracks in the pavement.

Happy New Year, Dear Reader.
Here's to a year of ink-stained hands.







Comments

  1. Happy New Year to you too and congratulations on your first place win in the IWSG Anthology.
    Keep writing with those ink-stained hands.
    Wishing you an awesome 2017.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat Garcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pat! I really appreciate it. It's been a wild experience so far and I'm ecstatic!

      Delete
  2. Congrats!! I hope this year will be awesome for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would happen? I'm guessing a lot!
    Congratulations again on the anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulation on winning the Anthology! Can't wait to read your story!
    And yah, 2017 is the year for winning the writing goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Yolanda! I really appreciate it. Here's to a fabulous writing year!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on being the overall anthology winner! I'm really looking forward to reading everyone's stories.

    "Writing only happens when we finally exhale and begin" - this is great advice :-)

    Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ellen! I'm looking forward to reading all the stories. I'm still a bit in shock :D

      Delete
  6. Sign me up, Jen! I think 2017 is going to be fabulous. As my ole agent used to say, "I can feel it in my water." Happy New Year and best to you in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I love it :D I may just adopt that phrase! Best to you in the coming year.

      Delete
  7. I love that goal. That sounds lovely. I'll have to adopt it for myself. :)

    Congratulations on being the big winner!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm still in a bit of a shock :D

      Delete
  8. If I both found and made that kind of time, I'd churn out a lot of stories. My authors might be a little upset if that was all I did though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. There is always the matter of balance, isn't there?

      Delete
  9. Large congratulations on being the grand winner. I cannot wait to read your stories and those of the others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm excited to read your entry as well :)

      Delete
  10. Oh BOY, do I ever LOVE your suggestion of simply sitting down and writing. With my various groups that I have joined, my sense of TRYING to accomplish something is destroying me. When is it OK to simply be me without all the rules? Thanks for your GREAT advice! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gwen. You're too kind. Have a lovely day and a very happy new year to YOU!

      Delete
  11. Congrats on your story. And I've been having a great first four days of writing for 2017. Now to keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Susan! So far I'm eeking a bit of writing out day by day. I've got to break this new habit of coming home from work and taking a nap! I should be writing! Happy New Year :D

      Delete
  12. Love your goal! Cheers to 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Here's to a great year!

      Delete
  13. Congrats on your win in the anthology. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Happy New Year to YOU!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on winning the IWSG Anthology Contest! I hope you enjoy all your writing in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! All the best to you in 2017.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on on the anthology win. Hope that's the start of a great 2017 for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Here's hoping, right? :)

      Delete
  16. Congratulations Jen! Wishing you a productive 2017. And I like your goal - to just write, with pleasure. A worthy goal for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, it's a goal I've thought of year after year but never implemented it. This year, however, it's coming very easy. Easier to breathe for some reason. And for that, I am glad.

      Delete
  17. There's a lot to be said for writing for the sheer pleasure of it.
    Congrats on the win, too. I loved your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lynda! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  18. You are so amazing, Jen. I love your gentle, spirit-filled advice. I'll do that with my journals as I start this new year.
    Congratulations on entering and WINNING the short story contest. Looking forward to reading your story, stories!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Mary! You're always so kind with your comments and your compliments. I appreciate each and every one! Happy New Year, my friend!

      Delete
  19. I remember writing stories in second grade just for the joy of writing. Losing that joy by trying to follow the rules, finding perfection in the ms, and worrying if others will like are a few of the big bumps on the road to becoming a writer. Plow them over with a pen! Congratulations on entering and winning the story contest! You go, GRRL!
    JQ Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I used to write all the time because I enjoyed it, not because I was wanting to or trying to please anyone else. It's time to get back to the bare bones of writing, for me at any rate. Thank you so much! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  20. Happy New Year, Jen! You are starting it off with a lovely thrust of excitement and joy! Congratulations on your accomplishment with your anthology selection! I loved that you wrote "Stories are hard evidence that magic exists." So, so very true! Happy writing in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Happy writing and happy New Year to YOU!!

      Delete
  21. Happy New Year, Jen!
    Congrats on the BIG win!
    The Mysteries of Death and Life is FANTASTIC!!
    But then you're well aware that I LOVE your writing and that I've been captivated by your unique and powerful melancholic voice from the very first time I read your blog!
    I'm so excited that your story won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much, Michelle! Thank you for your unwavering encouragement. You've always been a voice in my head cheering me on and I am eternally grateful my friend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts