Friday, February 10, 2017

In the silence between the thunder

How does writing become habitual?

How do we set our minds to the page?

Every time I look at my writing shelves - burgeoning with folders and notebooks of half worlds and half-formed things - I get stunned. I am quieted by the cacophony of ideas. I can't find a foothold. I stare; I freeze; my mind aches, my fingers itch. I feel I should do something. I should fill a binder with winged and beating things.

Yet I walk away with aching and I wander aimless, not wanting to lose myself in the words of others but in the words of me.

I grope and gasp for an avalanche of my words but I have yet to find the breaking.

My fingers could tear hair in their frustration. I am lost!

How, how, I wail, gnash teeth - how do I give birth to an endless stream?

Suddenly, in the silence between the thunder, I hear:

remove
      one
stone
   at
      a
    time.

***

Keep writing,


2 comments:

  1. It will overwhelm if you think about all of it at once. Just begin with the first step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it does! And I try not to think about all of it, all the plans and ideas. I try to focus on one but they others crowd in and clamor for my attention. I have a friend who only gets one idea at a time and worries she'll never get another. I've told her that I envy her and that she should never, ever bemoan the "one idea at a time".

      You're right. I do need to find a way to focus on that one step, that first step, that one project. Now to find the way :D

      Thank you for your encouragement.

      Delete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)