Monday, February 6, 2017

Mondays are for Bluestockings

delightful photo found HERE

A Bluestocking or, because everything sounds more charming in French, a bas bleu. It is a term brought to us from the long ago days of Salons and communities of people who would gather simply to enjoy intellectual conversation revolving around books.

I've come to adopt this moniker as I like quirky labels and enjoy wearing blue socks. There's a MARVELOUS mail-order book shop called Bas Bleu and if you haven't heard of it, you simply MUST wander over. Oh, and they send out REAL catalogs. My inner nerd just did a happy jig :) Their blog The Bluestocking Salon is a delicious labyrinth of literary fiction, social exploration, meet and greets with their editors and readers, wanderings through books old and new, even commentary on the Danish concept of Hygge, about which I learned two years ago and have adopted as my own, cozy, winter-time mantra.

All that to say, I'm dedicating Mondays here to bluestocking pursuits! I'll wander along the rabbit trails of my own, intellectual pursuits and record them here. There will be books, links to fantastic sites, books, tea, the odd article of whatever curiosities I am currently researching, books and...did I mention books? Book reviews aren't really my thing. They always tend to be too critical-ly for my taste. I'd rather present a book I've read and DISCUSS it, wax poetical about it, or offer it up on a pyre of complete misunderstanding.

Learning is my greatest passion. I need an excuse to stay curious and a place into which to tuck all those bookmarks.

What are your thoughts, Dear Reader? Do you consider yourself a Bluestocking? By the way, guys, this is not just for the ladies. The salons of old invited both sexes to be a part of the intellectual free-for-all. So hitch up those socks and garters, kids! It's going to get even more nerdy up in here :)

Wander well,


6 comments:

  1. But all of my socks are black!
    Glad you found a book site that you connect to so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok, Alex. I'll make an exception for you and your black socks :)

      Delete
  2. We rec'v that catalog and it is awesome! Book and such that wouldn't be found in the average B&N, or even used bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's wonderful! It's one of my favorite catalogs to browse through. I get so many titles for my ever expanding To Be Read List.

      Delete
  3. Your excitement is contagious! Bring on the blue socks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do get a bit nerdy when it comes to books :)

      Delete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)