Hero Lost Anthology Interview with Yvonne


***

Hello and welcome to another Interview with the Author featuring some of my fellow Hero LostAnthology authors. Don't forget, the anthology is coming to you in May! This week I'm interviewing Yvonne Ventresca who contributed to the anthology her story “The Art of Remaining Bitter”.

Jen (J): How do you feel about the need for darkness in stories to find the light?

Yvonne (Y): Part of what draws a reader into a good story is rooting for the main character and their ability to overcome struggles. That ties back to the concept of darkness and light. Without conflict, there would be nothing to root for. Sometimes it can be hard for authors to put our beloved characters in dire straits, but it’s a necessary evil. As Nabokov said, “The writer’s job is to get the main character up a tree, and then once they are up there, throw rocks at them.”



(J): Why do you think we feel an attraction to fallen heroes, and cheer for their redemption?

(Y): Ah, the inherent attraction to underdogs! Whether it’s the un-favored Super Bowl team or Rocky in the boxing ring, there’s something satisfying about hard-fought attempts at victory. The same is true for fallen heroes. If they were heroic once, we’d love to see them rise to the occasion again. It’s a way to live vicariously and to have hope that our own struggles are conquerable.

(J): For kicks and giggles: What TV show would your fallen hero binge watch on Netflix?

(Y): In “The Art of Remaining Bitter,” Sylvia dreams of becoming an artist, so she’d binge watch Bob Ross’s “The Joy of Painting.”



***


Thanks so much, Yvonne, for taking the time to answer my questions AND for sharing the cute memes. I particularly love the Bob Ross one :) Make sure you stop by Yvonne's website to learn more about her and her work; also, click over to the Hero Lost Anthology website to read about Yvonne's story and all the stories featured in this year's Insecure Writer's SupportGroup Anthology. Happy Wednesday!

Comments

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog today, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome, Yvonne! Thank you for participating :)

      Delete
  2. At least she'd be able to paint happy trees.
    I think I threw one of my characters up a tree and then set it on fire. Too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Not at all! I love seeing what my characters are made of. I threw one of mine off a cliff once...I should probably finish that story, eh?

      Delete
  3. Seeing a fallen hero come back and succeed again gives us hope we can do it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And without hope, a story is dead. I've read several books in recent years that left me feeling hopeless. Needless to say, those got donated.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jen! I enjoyed your interview with Yvonne. We love reading about heroes, especially fallen heroes. There's always hope, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Denise! Yes, we do. And I love a good fallen hero because I have to believe, as you said, there is always hope.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts