Monday, April 3, 2017

Shifting DREAMS to GOALS

photo found HERE


Good morning!

Oh I feel like it's been years since last I posted. Sorry for the absence but it was an unexpected hiatus that I really, really needed. I'll post more about that on Wednesday. For now, I wanted to talk a bit about something that's recently sort of slapped me in the face: DREAMS vs. GOALS.

Everyone has dreams. I know I've had about a million and twelve since I was three years old. They've shifted and merged, been everything from "I want to be an astronaut" to "Can't I just stay holed up in my house and bake macarons?" Dreams have haunted me, taunted me, for years. I followed some and let many go. I fought bitterly for a few only to realize, much, much later, they were never meant to be. We've all had those dreams that float by and make us wistful. We've also all had those that made us vicious and try anything that came our way to achieve them only to have them end in nothing.

But what about those dreams that have always been with you? What about those quiet desires that have graciously bowed back to the rabid ones, the ones that weren't meant for us to begin with but that shouted and foamed at the mouth so that we had no choice but to run after them?

I've had a handful of those. One of them has come true. The rest are still there, quietly waiting.

Waiting for what?

That's the question that's been boiling on my back burner. What on earth are these dreams waiting on? I think I've finally figured it out. They're waiting on ME to stop daydreaming and to start doing something about them.

A goal is a dream with a plan, I once heard someone say. That's what I've been lacking. An actual, cohesive plan that charts doable progress from dream to goal to DONE.

Now, I'm not saying that making a plan is a sure-fire way towards getting everything you want. What I am saying is that if you take a dream and sort out just how YOU can turn it into a reality, you WILL make progress towards it. You don't know everything up front. You don't know what challenges will arise as you go. But you can have your road map and you can have an idea of where you're going and the best way to get there.

Start fresh this morning. Sit down and really think about what it is you really want from life. Whether it's something big or something small, what you need is a plan. Even if that plan is "Find someone who has done this before and ask them what I need to do", that is a positive step in the right direction.

For me, it's been evaluating what I want in regards to where I am in life and what dreams are more feasible for my current situation. That doesn't mean that I've let the other dreams go; it means I'm letting them simmer a bit longer, putting a bit into the pots as I can, but focusing my attention on those things that I KNOW I can work on now.

Little by little, but by bit, a mountain is made. Don't begrudge small steps. Step out and climb your mountain, even if you have to take it one pebble at a time.

Happy Monday,

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's waiting for the right time.
    Sometimes it's just waiting for us to get off our butts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Mostly the latter, or so I've discovered :)

      Delete
  2. A goal without a deadline is just a wish! A goal also needs to be a burning desire.

    ReplyDelete

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)