The Insecure Writer's Support Group, October Edition

Good afternoon! Hi there and welcome to the October edition of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. If you want to know more about us, click HERE. If you want to know more about our captain and fearless leader, click HERE.

A big, huge thank you to all our co-hosts this month. It's a big job and we all appreciate the tireless hopping the co-hosts do 💚

This month's question: Have you ever slipped any of you personal information into your characters, either by accident or on purpose?

Definitely, yes, and definitely on purpose and by accident. Bits of us get into everything we write. Even if I'm creating a villain, I still see some familiar attributes creep in. Nobody's perfect! Most of my main characters have some element of myself in them. I do this because when I write what I know, I'm able to create more realistic scenes with believe able characters. Every part of every moment of our lives is up for grabs when we write, even the nasty bits. Sure, there are situations I wish I could go back and "do over", but, then again, without those experiences, we'd be less dimensional.

It is fun, though, when something of yourself appears in your work and you didn't intend for it to be there. I had a friend read a short story and he said he loved how my love of tea and books was in it. Honestly, I hadn't planned on those things entering into the tale but I brought them with me.

The things we carry have a way of showing us that they matter, that they aren't without merit. Mine your life and experiences for things, for characters and descriptions. Don't be afraid of the darkness or the seemingly insignificant details. As Sylvia Plath said,  "Everything in life is writable about, if you've got the outgoing guts to do it."

...
Speaking of short stories, the Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life short story anthology is a part of a Halloween Reads promotion! It is Halloween time, after all. What books chill you? Stop by October 30-31 and let me know!


And if you need a little something chilling for the spooky season, pop over to the Lost Hero website and grab your own copy of The Mysteries of Death and Life!


Happy writing,


Comments

  1. The Halloween promotion will be fun.
    My morals and values show up in my work. I can't write any other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine a piece of me NOT ending up in my work!

      Delete
  2. I've buried all my secrets, but my characters try digging them up. Should I stop them, Jen, or be grateful that they know where the best morsels are under the dirt and leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say let them dig them up but make sure we all believe they belong to the characters and not you ;)

      Delete
  3. Funny how your friend noticed you slipped in personal details without you realizing it. Thanks for highlighting the Halloween Reads promo. Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny! When he mentioned it I had to stop and think about it. It was completely unintentional!

      Delete
  4. I sometimes add little traits of mine to my antagonists, just to make them a little less villainous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that! Adding bits of yourself to tame your villains. Depending on the day, I could probably make my villains a bit more...well, colorful!

      Delete
  5. I've not put much of myself as far as what I like into my characters. None are vegetarians or love cats. What I've experienced however is very much in there as emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My emotions always overflow into my characters, especially anger and my sense of justice. I'm always trying to decide whether or not I should reign these in or let them run free!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Well hello there! I'm happy you wandered by. Make yourself comfortable and I'll pour the tea. Cake? Chocolate? Take your time, meander, and don't forget to join in. Be sure and check back later! I respond to all comments here :)

Popular Posts